Hello, All

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Hello, All

Postby ElijahW » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:54 pm

GrandpaChestnut,

I'd love to check out your tree.  I'm aware of small chestnut trees on private land across and down the road from the Howlands Island Savannah entrance, but haven't yet seen any on the island itself.  My guess is that you're on the north end?

Thanks for posting the photo; this tree looks legitimate and healthy.  I'll send you an email and hopefully we can get together soon.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks
ElijahW

Has Liked: 207 times
Has Been Liked: 231 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Hello, All

Postby ElijahW » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:12 pm

NTS,

Last weekend, after getting directions to the large American Chestnut from Allen Nichols, President of TACF in NY, I was able to check up on his tree.  Here it is:

DSC00818.JPG

DSC00819.JPG

DSC00820.JPG

DSC00823.JPG

DSC00824.JPG

This chestnut has no obvious sign of the blight, and appears very healthy.  The amount of burrs on and around the tree was impressive.  After some careful measuring, the chestnut's dimensions are the following:  87.0' x 5' CBH x 33' Average crown spread (5 spoke measurements averaged *2).  This is a very impressive tree and I'm thankful to have the privilege of visiting it.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

For this message the author ElijahW has received Likes :
Rand
ElijahW

Has Liked: 207 times
Has Been Liked: 231 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Post Here First - Introduce Yourself