Long Time Reader -- I'm Finally a Member!

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

cggordon

Long Time Reader -- I'm Finally a Member!

Post by cggordon » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:16 am

I have been a frequent visitor to the Native Tree Society BBS forum for the last few years. I have read (and re-read) numerous posts on the site. It has clearly worked as some sort of positive feed-back loop to re-kindle and fuel my interest in big trees. I reached the point where I really wanted to be a registered member and actually post, contribute, etc. -- you know, be a part of the community. So, after getting through a few registration hiccups, I'm finally here. Whew.

About Me: I was born and raised in Oregon. I've been active in the Outdoors my whole life. Started camping and hiking at a young age, then graduated to backpacking and then later some mountaineering along with "peakbagging". I always enjoyed my visits to the lush western Oregon forests as I grew up. Many years later, now I'm married with young kids and living in Los Angeles so my outdoor adventures are generally a bit more limited and fewer and farther between, but visiting the outdoors is still the great driver of my personal life. I'm still first and foremost a "peakbagger" and "US State Highpointer" (currently 44 state highpoints down with 6 left to go), but I'm adding tree hunting to my list. I'm not employed in any tree or outdoor capacity, just a hobbyist, but I hope I can be an asset to the community.

Tree Interests: I'm drawn to the Big 5 (Redwoods, Sequoias, Doug Firs, Sitka Spruces, and Western Red Cedar). My tree focus area is and would remain CA and OR. I have history and continued contact with the North Oregon Coast and its forests. I recently bought Loggers Tape and a Nikon Forest Pro II to aid in tree hunts and documentation. (Unfortunately, the Nikon broke already. Sigh. I'll be getting that fixed/replaced.) I recently visited the north Oregon coast earlier this summer so I plan to post regarding those adventures over the coming weeks/months.

I look forward to engaging with all of you. Cheers!

-CG
Attachments
Hugging the Boole Tree Giant Sequoia
Hugging the Boole Tree Giant Sequoia

ElijahW

Re: Long Time Reader -- I'm Finally a Member!

Post by ElijahW » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:41 am

CG,

Welcome. Visiting the rainforests of the west coast (Washington State) for the first time in 2018 was an amazing experience for me. We have plenty of old growth forest in the mountains of NY, but this was a whole different level. I’m looking forward to hearing about your experiences in California and Oregon.

Enjoy your day,

Elijah

Return to “Post Here First - Introduce Yourself”