I photograph remarkable trees of the West Coast

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the other members of ENTS. New users and guests can ask questions about ENTS and the ENTS BBS here.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: I photograph remarkable trees of the West Coast

Postby Bart Bouricius » Sat Mar 11, 2017 11:50 am

A photo of an entire large tree is clearly more impressive with a physically larger image.  I have made a few large prints which people like, but rarely of an entire huge tree.  I find that in many forest environments it is impossible to see the whole tree, or even enough pieces of it to get a good stitch.  A drone could help I suppose, but in order to clearly see a person in the image for size, it has to be quite large.
Bart Bouricius

Has Liked: 100 times
Has Been Liked: 285 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: I photograph remarkable trees of the West Coast

Postby longshadow » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:42 pm

Yes, the main thing to eliminate is distortion caused by a wide angle lens. I normally try to shoot at the same focal length as my eyes, which is equivalent to about 50mm on an old film 35mm camera. Then get far enough away from the tree to see as much of the crown as possible; also eliminate camera tilt. Here's a stitched image of Del Norte Titan redwood. BYW, Zach Urness of the Salem Statesman Journal wrote this excellent piece about trampling in the Grove of the Titans, and efforts by the National Park Service to minimize it. I gave $100 to help pay for a boardwalk.
Darryl
Attachments
Del Norte Titan on 4-4-16 stitched 300w.jpg

For this message the author longshadow has received Likes :
MarkGraham
longshadow

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 9 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: I photograph remarkable trees of the West Coast

Postby longshadow » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:44 pm

For this message the author longshadow has received Likes :
Rand
longshadow

Print view this post

#14)  Re: I photograph remarkable trees of the West Coast

Postby mdvaden » Sat Mar 11, 2017 5:11 pm

longshadow wrote:Yes, the main thing to eliminate is distortion caused by a wide angle lens. I normally try to shoot at the same focal length as my eyes, which is equivalent to about 50mm on an old film 35mm camera. Then get far enough away from the tree to see as much of the crown as possible; also eliminate camera tilt. Here's a stitched image of Del Norte Titan redwood. BYW, Zach Urness of the Salem Statesman Journal wrote this excellent piece about trampling in the Grove of the Titans, and efforts by the National Park Service to minimize it. I gave $100 to help pay for a boardwalk.
Darryl

The article was okay, but the woman who did one shortly afterward in the Triplicate did a better job than Urness is not propagating certain things that will "spread sparks" so to speak.

RE photos like the DNT above, I find with my new Canon 5DS, that I can get big images from within images, lessening zoom or distortion sometimes. I may just fit what I want in the top of the shot to avoid tilt and just crop the bottom away. It's an interesting camera to use.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon >>> http://www.mdvaden.com

Over 200 Pages of Redwoods >>> http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml
mdvaden

Has Liked: 6 times
Has Been Liked: 211 times
Print view this post

#15)  Re: I photograph remarkable trees of the West Coast

Postby longshadow » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Glad to know about the 3/4/17 Del Norte Triplicate article: http://www.triplicate.com/news/5120775- ... ing-titans. But sorry to hear that donations to the Redwood Parks Conservancy have been so little. Raising a million dollars for an elevated trail seems impossible without a major PR effort.
longshadow

Print view this post

#16)  Re: I photograph remarkable trees of the West Coast

Postby mdvaden » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:36 pm

longshadow wrote:Glad to know about the 3/4/17 Del Norte Triplicate article: http://www.triplicate.com/news/5120775- ... ing-titans. But sorry to hear that donations to the Redwood Parks Conservancy have been so little. Raising a million dollars for an elevated trail seems impossible without a major PR effort.

I was able to read the triplicate article a few visits to the page, then yesterday it was hitting-me-up to join.

Wonder what total donations are. She had never heard about the $1000 sent on behalf of the gofundme page for the grove last year.

mdvaden

Print view this post

#17)  Re: I photograph remarkable trees of the West Coast

Postby longshadow » Sat Mar 11, 2017 10:25 pm

I checked the Save the Grove Titans Facebook site, and they had raised $5,000 as of yesterday.
longshadow

Print view this post

#18)  Re: I photograph remarkable trees of the West Coast

Postby mdvaden » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:44 am

longshadow wrote:I checked the Save the Grove Titans Facebook site, and they had raised $5,000 as of yesterday.

Hopefully they find somebody with more money, because for the days the articles have been out, at this rate, that's about $120,000 a year and it will take about 10 years.

;-)

Both those articles slammed public awareness to an audience where just a small percentage would even know of this grove or that it leaked. So the two articles will likely double the traffic and impact to the grove. If they can't get the money and work going in about a year or two max, the damage caused by the authors will be significant.

mdvaden

Print view this post

#19)  Re: I photograph remarkable trees of the West Coast

Postby Erik Danielsen » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:05 pm

mdvaden wrote:
Erik Danielsen wrote:Beautiful images! I've also been working to hone a technique of portraitizing trees (though my east-coast subjects are far less massive) by way of multiframe stitching, particularly seeking to recreate the subject isolation that can be achieved for larger subjects using a wide aperture lens on a large capture medium like 4x5 or 8x10 film. I've contemplated what it might take to achieve that with significantly large trees- probably multiple frames through a fast telephoto wide open at a moderate distance, something I don't really have the glass for at present.

I don't think it would do much good for a large tree unless you could print or display it huge. Say ... like the 40 in. x 60 in. canvas I just hung in a Crescent City gallery.

Agreed, physically large prints are really quite necessary for viewer impact (and because the subject separation the technique aims for simply is not apparent if the sharp details are not printed large enough to physically distinguish from the defocused elements). I would want to print that little hemlock at a minimum of 24x24, ideally up to 40x40. The trick is finding a reasonably affordable place to do large prints, really.
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 217 times
Has Been Liked: 271 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Post Here First - Introduce Yourself