Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Maybe not the Turkey you imagine

Post by edfrank » Sat May 05, 2012 6:02 pm

Maybe not the Turkey you imagine
by Neil Pederson | 5.5.2012

http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2012/05/05 ... u-imagine/

Click on image to see its original size
Despite reading about these temperate rainforests, this is not the Turkey I imagined. This might not be the Turkey most people imagine. I’m really not sure what you envision when you think about Turkey. A dry, open landscape? That is what I thought until I stepped into Artvin Province. Because what I saw there was green, steep, lush, heavily forested. Really? Yes!

In prepping for our pilot research in the temperate rainforests of Turkey, I pulled out the travel guide to get more background. I love going to the history section and learning the long-term trajectory of the people and region. Man, talk about long term and a wide mix of culture. There cannot be too many other places that have that mix of people and culture. At the end of the trip, I was seeing the ecology of Turkey in the same way.

continued...
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Maybe not the Turkey you imagine

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sat May 05, 2012 7:16 pm

Americans have a tendency to underestimate other nations and to downplay the positive aspects of foreign lands.

mdavie

Post by mdavie » Mon May 07, 2012 7:25 pm

I was just talking to my brother yesterday about taking a trip there at some point. He was in Bishkek Kyrgyzstan and was talking about how much snow was still in the mountains around there when he flew by.

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue May 08, 2012 7:13 am

mdavie wrote:I was just talking to my brother yesterday about taking a trip there at some point. He was in Bishkek Kyrgyzstan and was talking about how much snow was still in the mountains around there when he flew by.
I wonder if it's reasonably safe to travel in central Asia?
Joe

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue May 15, 2012 10:23 am

What’s a tree like you doing in a place like this? Or West meets East
by Neil Pederson | 5.15.2012 at 7:13am

http://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2012/05/15 ... eets-east/
Note: Our series on fieldwork in northeastern Turkey continues with the insight and expertise via Dr. Dario Martin-Benito’s guest post below.

Turkey lies at the crossroads between Asia and Europe. The enchanting city of Istanbul, with its amazing culture and long history as a bridge uniting the East and the West, symbolizes this better than any other place. Actually, Istanbul is the only big city in the world that lies on the border of two different continents. The diversity of the Turkish forests also reflects many species migrations over hundreds of thousands of years and might have served as a glacial refuge for many plant species during the last glacial maximum around 16,000 to 60,000 years ago. This way Turkish flora has evolved to be one of the richest floras in Europe or Asia by having components from both continents.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Finally – Some true Turkish Delight! Discovery of some tasty oaks
by Neil Pederson | 6.17.2012 at 11:53am
After a few days of mild frustration, the sampling of potentially old umbrella pine lifted our spirits and put us in a good frame of mind to conduct our last day of research in the temperate rainforest region of northeastern Turkey. We headed out of Borçka and met with a forest officer in charge of forests in the Murgul Mountains. He seemed pleased with our research goals and supplied an extra jeep and a forest ranger to assist with our work. As often happens in fieldwork, highs like the discovery of great trees or the donation of free assistants get intermixed with unforeseen issues. On our last day of fieldwork in Turkey, we experienced all of that.

Return to “Middle Eastern Trees and Forests”