Coring large softwoods and northern hardwoods

Discussion related to Tree Ages

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

jcruddat

Coring large softwoods and northern hardwoods

Post by jcruddat » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:59 pm

Hi all,
I've been looking into getting a longer increment borer (>16″) for sampling larger old-growth species that I occasionally come across during my hikes (e.g., white oak, eastern hemlock, eastern white pine). Ideally it would be two-threaded rather than three-threaded and 20 to 24″ long. I know of several reputable brands (Haglöf, Mattson, Djos, Suunto [no longer sold], and JIM-GEM), but it seems that only the Haglöf and Mattson designs come in lengths greater than 16″. I would rather avoid the Haglöfs due to their spreader bars being behind rather than in-line with the threads (which I hear makes backing out the borer difficult in lengths greater than 16″). The Mattson borers come in lengths of up to 20″ but look to be based on the same design as the Haglöfs. The Djos, Suunto, and JIM-GEM designs have their spreader bars in-line with the threads, meaning there are sufficient threads behind these spreader bars to catch the wood when backing out (especially useful when incidentally entering an area of rot or cavity within the tree). The posts I've come across claiming that the Haglöf design becomes rather difficult to back-out of hardwood trees in depths exceeding 16″ are rather outdated. Does anyone here have experience coring large hardwoods and/or softwoods who could provide some recommendations?

Thanks,
Jack

dbhguru

Re: Coring large softwoods and northern hardwoods

Post by dbhguru » Sun Nov 01, 2020 1:15 pm

Jack,

The ideal people to turn to for expert advice are at Harvard Forest. Dr. Neil Pederson is your best bet. His email address is:

neilpederson@fas.harvard.edu

He'll probably remember you from the cedars you cored.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

jcruddat

Re: Coring large softwoods and northern hardwoods

Post by jcruddat » Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:58 pm

Thanks for the recommendation, I will be sure to send an email out.

Return to “Dendrochronology and Tree Ages”