Future ENTS Projects

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Future ENTS Projects

Post by dbhguru » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:08 pm

ENTS,

Now that I'm back in Massachusetts, I find that my plate is very, very full. Lots of projects to consider or get started. I'll tackle them one at a time - starting tomorrow. However, as a sneak preview:

1. ENTS book proposal on exceptional forests of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Details tomorrow (lots of Ents can be involved).

2. Project to document exceptional trees on Montpelier (Horticulturist is excited - we're in on this one)

3. Possible documentation project for Jefferson's Poplar Forest in VA

4. WNTS gathering in Colorado in June

5. Forest Summit-ENTS gathering in Massachusetts in October - gotta get cranking

6. Trip reports - sooopa dooopa

7. Remeasure all 140-foot white ashes in MTSF

Ache and groan!

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

dbhguru

Re: Future ENTS Projects

Post by dbhguru » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:41 am

ENTS,

I continue thinking about the future of ENTS/WNTS and what kind of a mark we want to leave for the good of trees and forests. We've come a long way since the inception of ENTS. We've accomplished some worthy projects and made a mark, but I still see us as being far too scattered with tidbits and slivers of our interests all over the board. The BBS is a noble effort at managing the pieces, but we need some priorities, not just the daily generation of grist.

I believe well designed and executed projects that would give us more visibility to people of consequence is the best way to focus our efforts in the coming months and years. The Internet remains our best overall tool of communication. But it is endlessly deep, and its mere existence is no guarantee that important people will find us and learn about forests and trees from our perspective. There is so much trivial chatter, so much marketing of unwanted products and services, so much clutter, so may choices, etc. that the Internet has become choked with a mix of complete junk, irrelevant stuff, good stuff, great stuff, too much stuff. Using it effectively has become more and more of a challenge, but I don't see any alternative to it. So we must continue using it to tie us together and to the rest of the world. But what do we present to the rest of the world?

The James Madison-Montpelier Estate project is an example of a high profile project that would tie us in with very accomplished people who would value our contributions. The Poplar Forest project would meet that test, no less. My recent trip to Virginia confirmed our potential value to Montpelier and Poplar Forest.

The Blue Ridge Parkway book proposal would reach a wide swath of the public. Parkway visitation is on the order of 20,000,000 visitors per year. There are plenty of coffee table books on the Parkway. There are tree and wildflower guides. But none of the existing sources has a clue about the old growth or where to find exemplary forest communities, big trees, etc. We would be the only show in town.

It is fun to come on the list and pop off a couple of messages and show some favorite trees or a frequently visited site, but as this kind of material accumulates, its impact lessens, as does its overall value. We need projects!

Dendromorphometry is a topic that needs to be revisited and reinvigorated from time to time, but we need to be realistic on what we can reasonably do when on a site visit. We can conceptualize dozens of nifty sounding measurements to take, but once on site, most become impractical. So while Dendromorphometry should proceed as a serious research interest, it cannot be forced.

I'll stop at this point and wait to hear the thoughts of others. Think projects.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:32 pm

Bob,

I really like the idea of a Parkway guide. You have already got me thinking about it. On how to collect data on it. Milepost by milepost. An example that comes immediatly to mind is the abundant American Chestnuts near Mt. Pisgah. Near the Pisgah Inn. I would find that important. People like the USFS and TACF know of it but it is largely unknown to the public masses. The book could change that and draw attention to the effort to restore the American Chestnut to our forests. Other things to highlight are old growth remnants, Spruce-Fir forests and drawing attention to remaining surviving Hemlock groves. More public awareness could benefit the hemlocks pressing the Park Service to treat more trees. I could go on and on.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:06 pm

ENTS,

I talked to Will Blozan earlier and he is working on a research permit for Congaree NP. We are beginning to line up significant events and projects to work on that advertise ENTS and the ENTS contribution. Here is what I can think of off the top of my head.

Project/Event Status Other partners

ENTS gathering in Colorado In planning stages San Juan NF
Oct conference in Massachusetts In planning stages Holyoke Community College + others to be announced
Mohawk Trail State Forest research on-going Friends of Mohawk Trail SF and Mass Department of Conservation and Recreation
Big Tree Documentation - Congaree NP In planning stages Congaree NP and others
Montpelier Tree Documentation In planning stages Trustees for Montpelier
Blue Ridge Parkway Guide In conceptualization stage Friends of Blue Ridge Parway, NPS, others
Poplar Forest Tree Documentation In conceptualization stage
Dendromorphometry Guide In progress

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Marcas

Post by Marcas » Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:07 am

Bob,

I know the Resource Manger at Congaree has put in a grant for funding to redo the Bob Jones trees. I believe this will start next year 2011. So I hope he gets the grant and if so there alot of walking to be done, if I hear more I'll post more.
Who speaks for the Trees? WE ALL DO!

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Marcas,

Thanks. That is a great project. I hope it will come about. I look forward to future reports.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Adirondack Forest Project

NTS,

There have been a number of excellent posts made on the Adirondacks in NY. These have been recent reports by Robert Leverett and Jess Riddle. In the past we have had posts by Barry Caselli, Eli Dickerson, Tom Howard. Neil Pederson has done research there. John Davis lives within the park. Many others have visited the area. It is a major old-growth forest site. I think we should add this as a focus area by naming it an official NTS project. We could mark out what we have done. Contact Michael Kudish and see if we can add his research to the mixture.

Ed Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Other Projects”