Black Walnut Toxicity Project

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

TheVoiceOfTheGround

Black Walnut Toxicity Project

Post by TheVoiceOfTheGround » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:23 pm

Hi this is Jim;
after discovering this site I have joined so I can find out more about the site to begin with.
My topic of main interest will remain the Toxicity of Black Walnut Trees.
There is a limited amount of available organized information on this subject and although there are links to lists of plants that will survive under or near walnut trees, as well as listing the plants that won't survive, the links only provide random info, and each site has different and sometimes conflicting lists of good/bad plants to grow with walnut trees.
For anyone who isn't aware of the poisonous effect black walnut trees (over the age of 8 yrs) have on half of the stuff you may try to grow under them, it can be a costly and awakening endeavour.
I would like to see some method of compliling a comprehensive list of plants that will survive with black walnut trees, which produce juglone in their sap, which is toxic to many plants, inlcuding serious health effects on horses especially.
The rain dripping off the leaves will affect many plants attempting to grow underneath, for example.
This is a starter memo only.
Please provide suggestions if desired on how this could be achieved; perhaps using a facebook group page or something like that, just an idea, but one way to get mega participation.
Thankyou for reading this and start googling for 'black walnut toxicity' and see what you come up with.
I would particularly like to hear from anyone who can provide info as to examples from their own homes that shows the health or death of particular plants that they tried to grow in their landscaping. Do you have black walnut trees on or near your home? Have a look, then learn about the effects it can have.
//Jim

James Parton

Re: Black Walnut Toxicity Project

Post by James Parton » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:47 pm

Jim,

Years back we had three black walnut trees of fair size. Probably around 90 feet tall. We had both a garden and a horse pasture near the trees. The garden did not grow well near the trees but the trees seemed to have little effect on the grasses and weeds underneath them. Our pony never got sick.

Ailanthus Altissima seems more toxic to surrounding vegitation than Black Walnut is. But Ailanthus is a non-native species.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

TheVoiceOfTheGround

Post by TheVoiceOfTheGround » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:25 pm

Hey thanks Jim! That's the idea exactly, I am looking for stories of real life experiences either now or from the past. There will be some interesting stories. Thanks for stating your story. Much appreciated.

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:14 am

You welcome, Jim!

Ok ENTS. Send some comments...
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

gnmcmartin

Post by gnmcmartin » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:26 pm

Jim:

I am interested in this subject because I have black walnut trees on my land, and have wondered what reports I can trust about what trees I can plant near the walnuts. One list I found said that white pine was affected, but in a woodland near here I found a large spreading black walnut growing right between two white pines. These white pines were the best growing in the whole woodland. the walnuts and the white pines are about 100 years old.

So, is the growth of white pine harmed by being near black walnut trees?

--Gaines

TheVoiceOfTheGround

Post by TheVoiceOfTheGround » Sat Mar 19, 2011 6:55 pm

Gaines, that's amazing, can you post a photo of this? or get some? with the white pines and the walnut growing together? When I google black walnut toxicity it seems to be consistent that white pine won't grow with adult black walnut.
Jim

Rand

Post by Rand » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:43 pm

Here's a picture of walnut seedlings killing back the goldenrod and grass on a small plot of land I own. Curiously it appears to leave a niche for some other stuff to grow
IMG_0186.jpg

gnmcmartin

Post by gnmcmartin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:00 pm

Jim:

I will try to get over there soon--maybe sometime in the next two weeks, to get a picture or two.

--Gaines

Return to “Other Projects”