Hemlock Treatment in MTSF

Ongoing research projects by ENTS and individual members

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Hemlock Treatment in MTSF

Post by dbhguru » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:14 pm

NTS,

Just a note on the hemlock situation in MTSF. The adelgid has arrived and in force. DCR has finally allocated some founds for treatment.

The third meeting of the Forest Reserve Advisory Committee was held today at Mohawk. I'm the chairperson for the Committee. So, today I was able to show the members who attended the superlative character of that forest, and there were some really wide eyes. No substitute for seeing a place first hand.

I can talk about Mohawk until I'm blue in the face indoors and in committee meetings and there will almost always be polite acceptance from the group, which translates roughly to: Gee, I guess Bob really likes that place. But one first hand look makes converts. The tallest trees in all New England really are in Mohawk, and that message came through loud and clear as I saw members gazing up into feathery tops of the pines that so surpass what they are accustomed to seeing. By the end of the walk, I think I witnessed a sense of pride welling up inside each observer.

Starting in November, I will begin prioritizing areas and individual trees for treatment within Mohawk.The members were agreeable that I identify the sites and trees with GPS coordinates and various descriptors and classifiers. A combination of Imidicloprid (sp?) and Safari will be used in the treatments.

So after returning from Atlanta, boots will be on the ground. Any ideas any of you would care to pass on as to a prioritization system, this old boy will be grateful, as will be the hemlocks.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Will Blozan

Re: Hemlock Treatment in MTSF

Post by Will Blozan » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:05 pm

Bob,

Great to hear (about $$$ not HWA)! I may have a word or two to share. Would need to know budget, state restrictions re: dosage, forest use, water proximity, etc.

We'll save trees!

Will

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Will,

I'll talk to you about it in Norcross. Lots of points to discuss. At least, we've finally got a real program to save trees.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Oct 05, 2013 4:49 am

Bob and Will, will the trees need to be treated every year or is it a one time thing? I still don't see signs of this problem in north central Mass. but it must be coming this way fast if it's in Mohawk.

there is a lot of hemlock here- perhaps as much as half the forest- so when the adelgid arrives, the forests here will be in terrible shape
Joe

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Oct 05, 2013 6:26 am

Joe

According to Ken Gooch, thry will need to retreat the trees every 2 or 3 years. I thought that an application lasted longer. Will has immense experience on this topic. I'm curious to hear what he says.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Return to “Current Research Project Listings”