222 Confirmed Redwoods Over 350 ft. LiDAR project concludes

Ongoing research projects by ENTS and individual members

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

jamesrobertsmith

Re: 222 Confirmed Redwoods Over 350 ft. LiDAR project conclu

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:52 am

M.W.Taylor wrote:
jamesrobertsmith wrote:I watched a redwoods documentary yesterday. Bury Me in Redwood Country, I think it was called. Were you in that? Seems I saw a familiar face in there.
Those guys never gave me a copy of the video. Where do I buy that ?
That sucks! I don't know where to get a copy. A friend at work loaned it to me. I'll ask him where he got his copy.

KoutaR

Post by KoutaR » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:41 pm

Michael,

Many thanks for listing those trees at the ENTS-BBS. I look forward to similar lists of other species.

One question: How do you define "the average ground level of tree"? Is it the mean of the highest and the lowest level or do you measure more points around the trunk and calculate the mean of them all?

Kouta

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:17 pm

gnmcmartin wrote:Folks:

I bought this book when it was first published. I am glad it is still in print. This is a good book about redwoods, and has some really nice pictures. When I say it is about "redwoods," it is equally about the Sierra Redwoods, or Giant Sequoias. --Gaines
Gaines,

Which book are you talking about?

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Don

Post by Don » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Ed-
I believe Gaines is referring to:

REDWOODS, The World's Largest Trees
by Jeremy Joan Hewes

which I provided a location for purchase of same, in item# 17 of this thread...
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

TK-1977

Post by TK-1977 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:20 pm

gnmcmartin wrote:Michael:

I have another question. Where is Harper Flat, exactly? I have no memory of any place called Harper Flat from my visits to Humboldt Redwood State Park, and looking at a map of the park on-line, I can't find Harper Flat. I also searched for a possible Harper Creek. Am I having a senior moment? If so, forgive me. I noted a good number of very tall trees listed for Harper Flat.

--Gaines
Well, for Harper Flat, I can provide the location- it is in between Bull creek (In a steep meander), and Miller creek. I won't provide the exact location. I have a similar problem with Patriarch forest. Excellent database!

TK-1977

Post by TK-1977 » Tue May 16, 2017 2:22 pm

Greetings,
I have a question- where exactly is the Patriarch forest in there? I don't know where it is, it doesn't show up anywhere. Any ideas?

Return to “Current Research Project Listings”