222 Confirmed Redwoods Over 350 ft. LiDAR project concludes

Ongoing research projects by ENTS and individual members

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

gnmcmartin

Re: 222 Confirmed Redwoods Over 350 ft. LiDAR project conclu

Post by gnmcmartin » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:08 pm

Michael:

I have another question. Where is Harper Flat, exactly? I have no memory of any place called Harper Flat from my visits to Humboldt Redwood State Park, and looking at a map of the park on-line, I can't find Harper Flat. I also searched for a possible Harper Creek. Am I having a senior moment? If so, forgive me. I noted a good number of very tall trees listed for Harper Flat.

--Gaines

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:24 am

jamesrobertsmith wrote:I watched a redwoods documentary yesterday. Bury Me in Redwood Country, I think it was called. Were you in that? Seems I saw a familiar face in there.
Those guys never gave me a copy of the video. Where do I buy that ?

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:26 am

gnmcmartin wrote:Michael:

I have another question. Where is Harper Flat, exactly? I have no memory of any place called Harper Flat from my visits to Humboldt Redwood State Park, and looking at a map of the park on-line, I can't find Harper Flat. I also searched for a possible Harper Creek. Am I having a senior moment? If so, forgive me. I noted a good number of very tall trees listed for Harper Flat.

--Gaines
Harper Flat is the big flat just down stream (about 1500 feet) from Giant Tree parking lot trail-head. The flat is on the south side of Bull Creek. This is the highest canopy on Earth. Parts of the grove are packed solid with nothing but 350'+ with trees.

mdvaden

Post by mdvaden » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:52 pm

M.W.Taylor wrote: Harper Flat is the big flat just down stream (about 1500 feet) from Giant Tree parking lot trail-head. The flat is on the south side of Bull Creek. This is the highest canopy on Earth. Parts of the grove are packed solid with nothing but 350'+ with trees.
Think it was just over a year ago last time I was in that spot. Didn't know the name, but it a magnificent area.

See you are at the keyboard ... may give you a jingle and see if Mike (Hank) connected with you yet today.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com

Mark Collins

Post by Mark Collins » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:30 pm

Michael, congrats to you and your team. This is simply an incredible body of work. I hope more people will learn about and appreciate this effort. As a layman, I find it simply inspiring. Looking forward to hearing about more discoveries!

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:21 pm

Michael, Congrats to you and all involved in this great undertaking! I have to get out to Calif. in the near future. I have a great book about the trees called Redwoods The World’s Largest Trees by Jeremy Joan Hewes. The book is loaded with fantastic information about the great trees from past to present. It also contains many photos and drawings throughout. Its copyright is 1981 mine is a 93 edition and I purchased it back in the late 90's. I've read it 2 times and have learned much from it. Most if not all of the places in the listing are described in the book. Thanks for sharing it with us it is truly the most spectacular listing of trees in the world! Larry

Don

Post by Don » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:56 pm

Larry,
And others in the Southeast interested in the redwoods, feast your eyes on this:

REDWOODS, The World's Largest Trees
by Jeremy Joan Hewes

One of the best redwood books that we have found for general information is: Redwoods, The World's Largest Trees by Jeremy Joan Hewes. This hardcover book has 192 pages, is printed in a 9.5"x12.5" format, and contains more than 300 photographs, with over 100 in full color, including several that are 18"x11.75". The price is $16.00 ppd.

Special Sale: As a result of a publisher buy out we can now offer the REDWOODS book for $9.98 (40% off list) plus $3.00 shipping or a total ppd price of $12.98 for this extraordinary book.

The books, booklets and other documents listed on this page are available from:

Redwood Technology, P.O. Box 1006, Huntsville, AL 35807
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:58 am

Don, et al.,

What is in information like in the redwood book? Big picture books often combine excellent photography with a "feel good" Style of writing that pulls numerical information from conventional sources, perpetuating misinformation. I have no idea about the book you are referencing. Just wondering.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:58 am

Don, Anyone interested in Redwoods should buy this book.
dbhguru wrote:What is in information like in the redwood book? Big picture books often combine excellent photography with a "feel good" Style of writing that pulls numerical information from conventional sources, perpetuating misinformation. I have no idea about the book you are referencing. Just wondering.
Bob, This book is well put together with facts and not the feel good style as you mention. It is one of my favorites. Larry

gnmcmartin

Post by gnmcmartin » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Folks:

I bought this book when it was first published. I am glad it is still in print. This is a good book about redwoods, and has some really nice pictures. When I say it is about "redwoods," it is equally about the Sierra Redwoods, or Giant Sequoias.

I am sure one could find a some limitations with this book, but as far as I can remember--I haven't had this book out to look at for some time, until right now--there are no gross inaccuracies or other off-putting issues, except, perhaps, its leaving some photos not precicely identified as to place or specific trees. For example, one picture includes what for all the world looks like the General Sherman tree, but it is not so identified (there is a picture of the General Sherman elsewhere in the book), and one or more of the pictures of close growing giant Sequoias may be of the Senate and House groups on the Congress Grove trail, but I can't be sure.

One thing that frequently irritates me in tree books is pictures that have the wrong caption. This book has at least two harmless ones. One of a man standing on a Douglas fir stump, implying it was a redwood, and another that mentions redwood regeneration, where the picture shows no such thing. Really, just quibbles.

It includes pictures of the logging of both redwoods and Giant Sequoias, and has other historic photos, including one of John Muir and Teddy Roosevelt standing with others at the base of the Grizzly Giant Tree. The tree is not identified in the photo as the Grizzly Giant--as in my earlier complaint--, but it clearly is. This photo was also the basis of the painting done by Albert Beirstadt, which could have been mentioned. There is, as with the General Sherman Tree, a color picture of the Grizzly Giant elsewhere in the book. But these are nit-picks. Anyone who is as nuts about Redwoods and Sequoias, as I am, would order this book before doing another solitary thing.

Of course, I could imagine someone doing a better book--any of you up for that? And want an advisor, editor--for free??

--Gaines

Return to “Current Research Project Listings”