Bulletin of ENTS, Volume 6, No. 2-3, Spring and Summer 2011

Discussions related to the Bulletin of the Eastern Native Tree Society and copies of the most recent issues.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Bulletin of ENTS, Volume 6, No. 2-3, Spring and Summer 2011

Postby DonCBragg » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:42 pm

Bulletin of the Eastern Native Tree Society, Volume 6, No. 2-3, Spring and Summer 2011
http://www.nativetreesociety.org/bulletin/b6_2_3/B_ENTS_v06_02&3.pdf

b6_2_3m.JPG

b6_2_3m.JPG (53.41 KiB) Viewed 3429 times

An artistic rendition of the glaciers at Shavlinsky Lake in Russia. Line drawing/watercolor by Fred Paillet.

A New ENTS Magazine ....................................................................................1
Don C. Bragg, Research Forester, USDA Forest Service

ANNOUNCEMENTS AND SOCIETY ACTIONS
Seventh Forest Summit To Be Held in October 2011 ................................................. 2

Fall 2011 ENTS Rendezvous Also in October ........................................................... 2
Answer to Last Issue’s “Puzzler” Tree Species ........ ............................................... 2

FEATURE ARTICLES

External Baseline Method for Measuring Tree Height  ................................................ 3
Robert T. Leverett, Founder, Eastern Native Tree Society

POEMS, STORIES, AND MUSINGS

Altai Mountain Trek in Russia............................................................................. 9
Fred Paillet, Adjunct Professor, Department of Geosciences, University of Arkansas

FOUNDER’S CORNER
Looking Backward, Marching On......................................................................... 20
Robert T. Leverett, Founder, Eastern Native Tree Society

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONTRIBUTORS .................................................................... 21

Here is another excellent issue that has been produced by Don Bragg.  I am particularly intrigued by the numerous drawings and illustrations provided by Fred Paillet.

DonCBragg

Has Liked: 1 times
Has Been Liked: 37 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Bulletin of ENTS, Volume 6, No. 2-3, Spring and Summer 2

Postby Don » Wed Sep 07, 2011 6:29 pm

I have just realized, that despite ENTS having expanded beyond its New England origin, to the Eastern seaboard, to the East of the Mississippi, then to the fledgling western sibling WNTS, and to Europe, it's clear to me now that we've not been thinking big enough! I can see the time when we'll be considering the titling variation of the eNTS to the gNTS, to reflect the global nature of our eventual expansion.
Reading last week of trip reports in Mongolia, this week of a trip report in Russia, oh my!  It's a wide, wide, wide world that awaits us.  Have we yet a southern hemisphere trip report?
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 65 times
Has Been Liked: 221 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Bulletin of ENTS, Volume 6, No. 2-3, Spring and Summer 2

Postby edfrank » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:05 pm

Don,

My idea on the eNTS Magazine was to have the  e reflect the e as in electronic, email, eBay, eetc.  as well as being a play on the original Eastern Native Tree Society name and of course the Tolkien reference.  Inside I proclaim it to be the Magazine of the Native Tree Society, a more globally encompassing name than the Eastern Native Tree Society.  I am not sure if anyone noticed, but that was my idea anyway.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 700 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Bulletin of ENTS, Volume 6, No. 2-3, Spring and Summer 2

Postby Don » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:50 am

Ed
I had noticed, and fully support your efforts! It's these last two faraway travels trip reports that have captured my fancy, and revived my wanderlust! Mongolian wolf scat, OMG! I can't say I've previously heard those three words used in concert before... Keep up the good work!
Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 65 times
Has Been Liked: 221 times
Print view this post