ENTS Bulletin Vol. 5, No. 3 & 4, Summer and Fall 2010

Discussions related to the Bulletin of the Eastern Native Tree Society and copies of the most recent issues.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  ENTS Bulletin Vol. 5, No. 3 & 4, Summer and Fall 2010

Postby edfrank » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:11 am

Bulletin of the Eastern Native Tree Society,
Volume 5, No. 3 & 4, Summer and Fall 2010

b5_3_4.JPG

b5_3_4.JPG (22.35 KiB) Viewed 3967 times

http://www.nativetreesociety.org/bulletin/b5_3_4/B_ENTS_v05_03&4.pdf

Don Bragg has published the latest issue of the Bulletine of the Eastern Native Tree Society.  I want to thank him for all of his hard work in putting this volume together.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

A Desperate Plea for More Submissions........................................................... 1
Don C. Bragg, Research Forester, USDA Forest Service

ANNOUNCEMENTS AND SOCIETY ACTIONS

A Significant New Publication of Interest to Ents................................................. 2

FEATURE ARTICLES

Measuring Tree Height by Tape and Clinometer Scenarios .............................................................................................. 3
Robert T. Leverett, Eastern Native Tree Society

FIELD REPORTS

Northern Lake States Old-Growth Visits: July 2010 ................................................. 13

NOTABLE TREES AND FORESTS

The Giant Cypress of Sky Lake WMA, Mississippi: An Update, October 2010 .................................................................................................... 18

Ole Lake, Mississippi: October 2010 ................................................................ 23

FOUNDER’S CORNER

The Healing Effects of Forests ........................................................................ 26
Robert T. Leverett, Eastern Native Tree Society

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONTRIBUTORS .................................................................. 27

Those interested in reproducing materials (articles or photographs) from the
Bulletin of the Eastern Native Tree Society should contact either the Editor-in-Chief
or individual author.

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 700 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#2)  Re: ENTS Bulletin Vol. 5, No. 3 & 4, Summer and Fall 2010

Postby Will Blozan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:10 pm

Don,

I echo Ed's thanks for your great work in getting this important publication out. I hear you about time and family! I will be wrapping up the final report for Congaree National Park this winter and would gladly submit it as an article for the next issue. I'll also work with Bob on a macroscope technical article.

Thanks again!

Will
Will Blozan

Has Liked: 1533 times
Has Been Liked: 436 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: ENTS Bulletin Vol. 5, No. 3 & 4, Summer and Fall 2010

Postby KoutaR » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:51 am

Very interesting topics in this issue. I am curious, do you sell a paper version of the Bulletin or is it only in Internet?

Kouta
KoutaR

Has Liked: 76 times
Has Been Liked: 228 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: ENTS Bulletin Vol. 5, No. 3 & 4, Summer and Fall 2010

Postby dbhguru » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:35 am

ENTS,

I will line up behind Ed and Will in thanking Don for the superb effort he makes and the quality he achieves in putting together the Bulletin of the Eastern Native Tree Society. In my humble opinion, the Bulletin is the best internal expression of the technical achievements of ENTS. The Bulletin is the appropriate place to showcase our accomplishments and Don has exhibited formidable organizing and editing talents. He knows how to strike a balance between technical and non-technical material and to give full play to ENTS achievements across the spectrum of our interests. The problem, of course, is that it is all volunteer work and I fully recognize that this places an added burden on those who aren't retired, such as myself. But the personal rewards of publishing in the Bulletin are many, and the contribution endures. Our separate communications become scattered to the four winds, but the Bulletins stand as an organized body of material that can be easily accessed and researched. And the quality is consistent.

So, along with Don, I make a special request. Let's all get behind brother Don and support him in the next edition of the Bulletin. Will, myself, and hopefully Jess will describe the uses and capabilities of the Macroscope 25. In terms of other contributions, it would be great to see the excellent work and images of our great European Ents showcased. An article on the work of Kouta and Jeroen in researching the great trees of Europe and their confirmations would be fabulous, and I think, ground-breakng. An article about trees as wildlife habitat in NYC from Jenny would add variety an flavor. Perhaps an article by James on the Druid perspective and where he sees that leading. Then there is the continuing work of Steve and Randy in Ohio. Ed, you've done more research than all the rest of us combined on the state of forests and trees in the collective unconscious as expressed through the Internet's many modes of communication. Is it serious stuff or just diversions? An article on the subject would be great. Well, I'm just throwing out ideas. Please take them for what they are worth. As a last resort, I can certainly preview Monica's and my efforts on the Blue Ridge Parkway if we run short of material, but we really want to hear from the rest of you.

Not to sound too preachy, but it is important for all of us to keep in mind that Don is a PhD research scientist with the U.S. Forest Service. He has a full plate independent of his participation in ENTS. That Don devotes part of his extremely busy schedule to us is a recognition by him that ENTS has a valuable contribution to make.  He is paying us a tremendous compliment on our contributions. And there is no better place to make that contribution than through the Bulletin. Come on gang, let's win the next one for Gipper Don.

Your humble servant
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 3 times
Has Been Liked: 1054 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: ENTS Bulletin Vol. 5, No. 3 & 4, Summer and Fall 2010

Postby KoutaR » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:33 pm

dbhguru wrote:In terms of other contributions, it would be great to see the excellent work and images of our great European Ents showcased. An article on the work of Kouta and Jeroen in researching the great trees of Europe and their confirmations would be fabulous, and I think, ground-breakng.

Bob,

At the moment I am so busy that I cannot contribute to the Bulletin, but sometimes in the future I could write something - with Jeroen / other European ENTS or alone.

Kouta
KoutaR

Has Liked: 76 times
Has Been Liked: 228 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: ENTS Bulletin Vol. 5, No. 3 & 4, Summer and Fall 2010

Postby edfrank » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Kouta,

The Bulletin is only currently available as an Online Journal in a pdf format.  One of the reasons for this is that ENTS is an internet based group so it seems reasonable to have an internet based journal - even if it is a formal journal.  The group does not charge any membership fees and has virtually no income.  So this helps us avoid an additional expense.  We have made only a token amount from our Amazon bookstore thing, if anything at all.  When working at Wal-mart I got them to give ENTS a grant of $250 dollars as part of their community outreach program (I volunteered 25 hours of work on community projects) as one example of how we get what little money we do hold. We have the recurring expense of paying for the hosting service for our website and this BBS and that can't be avoided.  

Most of what we do or sponsor is paid for out of different member's pockets.   We have not real source of income, so we need to keep the expenses low - printing a version of the Bulletin would be an expense.  I would like us to have something to generate income, but there would then be the downside of needing to fill out tax forms and more formalized organizational structures and procedures.  

Once the Online tree database is opened up for general use of the members, the next major step deals with that issue of the ENTS organizational structure. Currently we are a non-profit organization through our parent organization - the Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest.  The goal would be to create a formal structure and bylaws for ENTS itself, and apply for non-profit scientific organization status under our own name and bylaws.  (This process itself will cost $1000 to $1500 American dollars, if everything goes well.)

Ed

Kouta Räsänen wrote:Very interesting topics in this issue. I am curious, do you sell a paper version of the Bulletin or is it only in Internet?

Kouta
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 700 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#7)  Re: ENTS Bulletin Vol. 5, No. 3 & 4, Summer and Fall 2010

Postby Steve Galehouse » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:04 am

Bob, Don, ENTS-

I'd love to create an article about the pockets of forest still remaining in Northeast Ohio---give me a deadline, and I'll produce!

Steve
every plant is native somewhere
Steve Galehouse

Has Liked: 181 times
Has Been Liked: 231 times
Print view this post

#8)  Re: ENTS Bulletin Vol. 5, No. 3 & 4, Summer and Fall 2010

Postby dbhguru » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:39 am

Steve,

If we don't here from Don in a few days, I'll contact him and get you the date. and thanks.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 3 times
Has Been Liked: 1054 times
Print view this post

#9)  Re: ENTS Bulletin Vol. 5, No. 3 & 4, Summer and Fall 2010

Postby Larry Tucei » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:41 pm

Bob,   I too would be glad to give Don an updated listing on the Live Oak Project and the latest photos!
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 647 times
Has Been Liked: 567 times
Print view this post

#10)  Re: ENTS Bulletin Vol. 5, No. 3 & 4, Summer and Fall 2010

Postby DonCBragg » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:32 pm

Sorry for not responding sooner, everyone, but its hard for me to keep up with all the things going on...  I will happily accept any materials people choose to put together for the Bulletin as soon as they can.  I would ask submitters to make sure to follow the instructions for authors included in each issue of the Bulletin--this really helps me in that it greatly lessens the amount of time I have to spent formatting and reformatting the articles.

As far as a production schedule goes, I have no absolute deadlines, just targets.  When I was able to put together 4 issues per year, I was doing this every three months (it is now once every 6 months or so).  The sooner I get enough submissions to put together an issue (usually 20 to 30 pages in length) I will generate one--if I get a lot of material, I will try to put out more than 2 issues per year.  So, Larry and Steve, send me what you can as soon as you can send it!

I also encourage people to submit high-quality photographs and shorter original works (e.g., poems, commentary, humor, etc.) that can be included.  Not everything has to be technical in nature.

Thanks, everyone!
DonCBragg

Has Liked: 1 times
Has Been Liked: 37 times
Print view this post

Return to Bulletin of the Eastern Native Tree Society