Latest News

Information about this BBS and its usage

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Latest News

Postby edfrank » Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Well, Folks, here we are.

Welcome to the new Eastern (and Western) Native Tree Society Bulletin Board.  I hope tis transition is going smoothly for everyone.  It is quite a change.  Everything I know about setting up and running a BBS I have learned in the last week.  I started from scratch last Sunday so I am still in the proces of learning.  I am sure there will be some hiccups aong the way.  I have added a series of MOS's and BBcode to add additional functions to the basic board.  Some of these include a clone post function, default avatars, hidden fuctionality stuff.  I added BBcode to make t esier or possible to embed videos from YouTube, Vimeo, and Google into the posts.  I added code to allow weird symbols, superscript, and subscript in the post as well.  I am sure I will add more as they become available.  

One thing I hope to find is a code or mod that will add a "like Button" to the posts much like is found on Facebook.  This would let you mark like to a post that you have read, but would not require a written response from you.   One developer said hw would write one soon, but that ws the end of January.  Here again are the basic instructions for signing up to the BBS as posted a few days ago:

New members and those rejoining will need to first post one message in the New Users Forums, before they can post in other topics.  If you post in other topics first, as a new user, you message will be sent to a moderation queue and the posts will not appear until approve until a moderator approves them. After making this first post, then members can post in any forum under any of these categories:  New Users, Western Native Tree Society, Trip Reports, General Discussions, or Humanities without problem or moderation.  All posts to the Science forums are moderated and must be approved before being posted.  Please try to post your comments in the appropriate category.

Under the ENTS and BBS Information category at the top of the index page, and in the forum Board Information is a post entitled  How to Use This BBS.  This goes over some of the basics of posting to the group. Everyone should read it if they are unsure about how a BBS works. Read it first, then if you want more information click on the FAQ link on the right side and immediately below the header of the index page.  Under Board Information there also are instructions on embedding photos into a post and embedding videos into posts.  More guides will be posted over time.

Periodically I will need to take the board offline for an hour or two as updates and maitenance is required.

Ed Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 703 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

Return to BBS Administration - How Everything Works