this BBS?

Information about this BBS and its usage

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  this BBS?

Postby Joe » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:53 pm

So, what is the consensus on the change to this BBS? I haven't seen any messages about the change. Do people like it?

It does seem to me that the energy level has dropped. Instead of a party- it's more like occasional discussions in a monastery. I don't mean that as a criticism- it's just very different. When everbody got everthing- I think that gave it a lighter touch with more spontaneity- though it may have also resulted in a less serious attitude.

Joe
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: this BBS?

Postby Steve Galehouse » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:17 pm

Joe-

The only thing I miss about the old Google Group forum is not having my cell phone vibrating in my pants-pocket with each new post.

But seriously, I like this system a lot more, and I think potential future members of the forum are more familiar with this sort of approach.

Steve
every plant is native somewhere
Steve Galehouse

Has Liked: 183 times
Has Been Liked: 231 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: this BBS?

Postby James Parton » Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:03 am

Joe,

Overall I find the BBS superior. But I think we lost a lot of people in the change between Google and the BBS. It seems even slower to recover than from the change from Topica to Google. Still, most of the major participants made tthe switch.

JP
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
James Parton

Has Liked: 338 times
Has Been Liked: 98 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: this BBS?

Postby Beth » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:21 am

At first I found myself missing the emails and I never used a BBS before and I never read the instructions so I found it hard to go through and find all the new posts.  Today however, and there is always a however in life, I found the nifty little button that buts all of them in front of me :)  I am still not quite sure about it yet but I'm sure once I get use to it I will love it.
Beth
Trees are the Answer
Beth

Has Liked: 7 times
Has Been Liked: 5 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: this BBS?

Postby Sandy Pappas » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:56 am

Where is that "nifty little button you found" I haven't found it?? from Sandy
Sandy Pappas

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 0 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: this BBS?

Postby Marcboston » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:23 am

I am starting to really like this site, it is clearly more sophisticated and can be a more powerful too.  That said the activity level does seem more mute.  This site might weed out more casual members but this organization cannot remain static and I think this is a nice progression for us.  People just need to dive into this site get dirty, make mistakes and be more patient.
Marcboston

Has Liked: 11 times
Has Been Liked: 3 times
Print view this post

#7)  Re: this BBS?

Postby edfrank » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:03 pm

Sandmoments,

Look in the upper right side of the Board Index page.

new.JPG

There are four links you can click in white.  "View unanswered posts" lists all of the posts people have made to which nobody has posted a reply.  The next button reads "View Unread Posts"  This generates a list of all the posts made anywhere on the board that you have not looked at yet.  The next button "View New Posts"  list recent posts that are no more than some value old (I am not exactly sure what) whether you hve looked at them or not.  The fourth button "View Active Topics" will show you all of the topics that have been active - meaning that there has been post to them for whatever length of time you select at the bottom of the results page.  Mine is set for seven days and has nine pages of listings sorted according to the tme since someone has posted there.

Ed Frank.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 703 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#8)  Re: this BBS?

Postby PAwildernessadvocate » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:11 am

I like it, I think the owners/moderators have set up a terrific forum here. Very nice job. I would expect traffic to pick up as people get used to using the new system.
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson
PAwildernessadvocate

Has Liked: 164 times
Has Been Liked: 72 times
Print view this post

#9)  Re: this BBS?

Postby dbhguru » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:19 am

Joe,

Maybe the chatty, we're one big happy family all crammed into one big room feeling has been lost, but it was time for that sense of ENTS to be sunsetted. The old forum was too easy to intentionally or unintentionally abuse. Remember a fellow named John and our Texas friend who chased him through cyberspace? Neither had any business being in ENTS. The new forum pushes us to think more seriously about the topic and where it belongs. The moderators have more to do, but we have many tools to use to insure the list stays on target. ENTS is a class act organization and needs to be constantly improving and moving forward. I predict that the membership will build back up and in time, we'll all herald the move as not only good, but necessary.

For my purposes, science, tree measuring, site documentation, artistic contributions, tree identification, ENTS events, and human interest aspects of forests and trees define the organization. Some general chitchat is okay, but it should be separated from the bread and butter topics. The BBS allows us to realize that objective.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1069 times
Print view this post

Return to BBS Administration - How Everything Works