Questions and Complaints

Information about this BBS and its usage

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Questions and Complaints

Postby Sassafrassqueen » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:17 am

Also, I'm with Don on the email thing. I looked forward to hearing what everyone had to say. It had almost become a daily ritual ( and you how we like our rituals!) to sit down at the end of the day and check on my new friends. And I was learning sooooo much about a subject near and dear to my heart. I miss you guys!!
Karen aka sassafrassqueen
Sassafrassqueen

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 0 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Questions and Complaints

Postby Sassafrassqueen » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:20 am

Also, I'm with Don on the email thing. I looked forward to hearing what everyone had to say. It had almost become a daily ritual ( and you how we like our rituals!) to sit down at the end of the day and check on my new friends. And I was learning sooooo much about a subject near and dear to my heart. I miss you guys!!
Karen aka sassafrassqueen
Sassafrassqueen

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 0 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: Questions and Complaints

Postby James Parton » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:44 pm

Karen,

You can use your name or Sassafras Queen. We know who you are. Welcome aboard!

James.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145
James Parton

Has Liked: 338 times
Has Been Liked: 98 times
Print view this post

#14)  Re: Questions and Complaints

Postby mdavie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:15 pm

I don't know if it's a complaint, but I think there may be a few too many topics on the board index page. It's a bit daunting to find what may be an appropriate heading for a post; what may be better is to have general headings with sub-headings, because very often a thread can become an ongoing one that is almost like a heading in itself, which can keep conversation on a topic going for a long time. Sometimes if a heading is too specific, it won't get posted in much and it would be better as a thread within sub heading that can get bumped up occasionally. That's the beauty of BBS (though sometimes a curse), that old threads can resurge. It keeps the clutter down, though.

Just a thought.
mdavie

Has Liked: 241 times
Has Been Liked: 34 times
Print view this post

#15)  Re: Questions and Complaints

Postby edfrank » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:16 am

Michael,

I understand what you are saying, and it is likely true.  

The reason for the many categories is so that the posts can be organized in a way they can be effectively searched.  They are going to be kept in the categories where they are posted (or moved to) in lieu of being reworked and added to the website.  The way I am planning on handling things is that if something is posted i the wrong category, I will leave it there effectively by moving it where it should go and leaving a shadow copy of it where it was posted.  It will appear in both places and replies made to either place will appear in both places.  Then when the activity on the thread is pretty much over I can delete the shadow copy left behind in the wrong place.  

The number of posts on the Google List was too great for one person to rework and organize on the ENTS website.  I am going to better integrate the existing website with the BBS to keep the new posts.  They need to have a parallel structure.  The categories listed are ones I think we have had sufficient posts about to support the existence of the category.  I do understand that fewer categories might facilitate longer discussions or more discussions, but the benefit derived from the organization of the data into these tighter categories outweigh those drawbacks.  

For people who participate regularly, they can simply hit the view active topics button and see which topics have had recent posts regardless of where they are in the BBS and read and reply to the ones they are interested in.

Ed Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 703 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#16)  Re: Questions and Complaints

Postby Don » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:09 am

Karen/others-
The closest thing I've found to what we had, Ed has pointed out as an option...Where and How?
For the where, go back to Board Index (where the initial URL takes you), go down four lines of text, where two of the options listed are: View New Posts, and View Active Posts.

How to make it like it was?  Click on View New Posts.  There'll be beaucoup (French for 'big bunch') posts, each with a red icon...red means unread.  If you click and open each and every one, you'll have "caught up with old times".  From then on out, if you're an every-day-check-all-the-posts-kind-of-girl, all you need to do is Click on View Active Posts, where you can bypass all the 'black icons' (already seen), and Click on any 'red icons' (not yet seen).

It is, to Ed's credit, better, and exactly for the reasons Ed has explained (shadow structure)...try it, you'll like it!
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 69 times
Has Been Liked: 225 times
Print view this post

#17)  Re: Questions and Complaints

Postby gnmcmartin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:52 am

ENTS and ED:

About Ed's work here:  All I can say is wow!  What a job!  I don't really know how much work it is, but I can imagine.  In the old days when using HTML code directly was the only way to create and manage web pages, I did just a bit.  I know how time consuming and at times frustrating it can be.  It is amazing we have the good fortune to have Ed doing all of this.  And in addition he makes wonderful contributions to the discussions as well. I would guess he gets satisfaction out of his work, but somehow everytime I log in and think about all he does, I wish there were some greater reward he could receive.

I Love this new BBS.  Yes, it would be nice to have the e-mail function that we had before, but sometimes there just has to be trade offs.  Here the organization and the number of categories available avoids the frustration of the old system in that it is easier to find things.  I don't think we have too many topics/categories.  We have organization.

I was one of the first (perhaps the first) to suggest that the new system of breaking everything up and not having the e-mail could cut down participation.  Maybe it has, but there are some undeniable advantages to this new system.  I , like everyone else, "want it all."  But what we got here is a blessing, and having Ed to do all he does is a double blessing!

--Gaines
gnmcmartin

Has Liked: 12 times
Has Been Liked: 77 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to BBS Administration - How Everything Works