Modeling the Pinchot

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Modeling the Pinchot

Post by dbhguru » Mon Apr 29, 2019 7:50 am

Ents,

Jared Lockwood and I went to Simsbury CT yesterday to plan for our modeling of the Pinchot Sycamore on May 6-7. We will be put up at the Gifford Pinchot Inn in Simsbury, where Pinchot was born. This could be a pretty big deal for many folks in Simsbury. Here's a look at Pinchot with Jared in for scale.

PinchotAndJared.jpg

Modeling this beast will be a challenge. Preliminary calculations indicate a volume of exceeding 2,000 ft^3. We'll focus on each of the five major limb structures, measuring the biggest limbs first. The lower trunk is no problem, but the section where the major limbs extend from the trunk will be a challenge. There's no regularity that we can get see for about 4 vertical feet. Will have to put the pieces together.

We did take the usual height and DBH measurements, plus the diameters of the major limbs at their bases. Pinchot's height is 98.5 feet and girth is 28.7 feet at 4.5 feet. Limb diameters are 4.07, 4.7, 4.2, 4.2, 3.0. One limb is between 91 and 93 feet long. It is the longest limb I've ever measured. This is a hypotenuse length, not horizontal distance. The hypotenuse path doesn't follow the curvature of the limb, so the true length is a little more.

On our return trip, we swung by Easthampton, and re-measured the state's champion sycamore of height. It is now 141 feet! It's DBH is 13.65 feet. More on this tree to come.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

ElijahW

Re: Modeling the Pinchot

Post by ElijahW » Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:50 pm

Bob,

I’m looking forward to seeing your results. I’ve been struggling with large Red Oak limbs that present a similar challenge to this Sycamore. The shape of the limb/trunk interface isn’t anything resembling a regular shape. Climbing the tree would allow for direct measurement, but I’m avoiding that for now.

Did you get tips from Larry on how to make Jared look so small? That tree dwarfs him.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:37 pm

2,000 cubic feet? That's amazing. If I remember correctly, some of the huge Smokies trees 3,000 cubic foot range. I never would have guessed this tree is so big.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:11 am

Ryan,

I expect around 2,300 or 2,400 cubes. Armed with a toolkit of new reticle formulas, hopefully, Jared and I can do a thorough job later this year.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:20 pm

Amazing. Lots of fond memories of this tree. It was probably the first big tree I visited.

Have you heard of the big sycamore at the intersection of 53 and 302? In Bethel. It is just a class below the Pinchot and Pine Plains trees. It is 7.3' thick.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:43 am

Ryan,

No, I haven't. Do you have an image of it? Is it in a location that allows it to be easily measured?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:20 pm

Here's a link.

http://oak.conncoll.edu:8080/notabletrees/ViewTreeData.jsp?selected=9001

Definitely some buttressing on that big branch, but it looks like the tree passes the single pith test.

Measuring the tree should be easy. It is right by a little restaurant called the Sycamore Drive Inn, so you could measure it from the Drive Inn's parking lot.

There's another pretty big one in New Milford. It is right by Route 7. I have driven by that tree a number of times.

Here's a more complete list of sycamores:

http://oak.conncoll.edu:8080/notabletrees/Process_SelectTaxon.jsp

Return to “Connecticut”