Ash height record?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ryandallas

Ash height record?

Post by ryandallas » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:47 pm

I was at Indian Well State Park today, and while I was there, I came across a very tall ash tree. The straight-up height measurement (taken while I was prostrate) was 140'! Standing about 100 feet from the tree, I was consistently getting heights in the 145 range. I also got a 148 and a 151, but 145 was the number I got the most. Is this a height record for ash in New England? I don't think I've heard of a taller tree. Girth was only 7' 1/2", and the crown was very narrow. The tree grows right beside the trail, and adjacent to a grove of very tall tulip trees.

Erik Danielsen

Re: Ash height record?

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:52 pm

Very interesting. I'd be glad to hear of the current status of known White Ash height records in New England- just the other day the question came up on facebook of whether any of the ash in Mohawk Trail State Forest were still standing over 150'. Sounds like you've got an exceptional specimen not just in New England but the northeast as a whole. Not sure about PA, but in NY we've got a handful between 140-143 and are likely to see them start dropping soon, sadly.

dbhguru

Re: Ash height record?

Post by dbhguru » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:29 pm

Erik,

So far as I know, there are still several exceptional white ash trees in MTSF in the 144 to 146-ft height range. One may be 147 ft. Jared Lockwood, John Eichholz, Ray, and I need to revisit Ash Flats, Indian Flats, Trout Brook, and the Shunpike area of MTSF.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Connecticut”