Connecticut's Champion Trees

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

JHarkness

Connecticut's Champion Trees

Post by JHarkness » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:41 pm

ENTS,

Here is a link to Connecticut's champion tree register: http://oak.conncoll.edu:8080/notabletrees/

There is a lot of interesting information here, including some measurements and photos dating back to the 1930s, but it doesn't have much scientific value, a quick glance through the register and you'll find multi-stem trees, tangent height errors, etc.. Perhaps it is time ENTS put together some reliable information on Connecticut's champion trees? Connecticut is underrepresented in terms of reliable tree measurements, I think it is time we change that. Would anyone here be interested in this project?

Here are a few examples of massive measurement errors in the list.

The supposed "state champion" silver maple, I've seen so many single trunk silvers in CT that are dramatically larger than this, I don't understand how it even got on: http://oak.conncoll.edu:8080/notabletre ... ted=225805
The "champion" white pine, yet another case of a multi-stem tree: http://oak.conncoll.edu:8080/notabletre ... cted=87012

Joshua Harkness
"Be not simply good; be good for something." Henry David Thoreau

DougBidlack

Re: Connecticut's Champion Trees

Post by DougBidlack » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:16 pm

Joshua,

count me in. I've visited some of the champion oaks and I'd like to remeasure all of their oaks as a start. My wife grew up in Storrs and her dad still lives there so we visit frequently.

Doug

JHarkness

Post by JHarkness » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:52 pm

Doug,

Great! I'm sure Connecticut's unique climate, geology and mix of oak-hickory and northern hardwood forests provide plenty of opportunities for oaks of many species to attain respectable size.

I'm willing to volunteer my time to check out some of the NW CT sites, as I'm very close to many of them. Cathedral Pines and Gold's Pines have been high on my list of sites to visit for a while, for some reason I've been dismissing them, they're only about a fifteen minute drive from me, so I suppose I should get back to them at some point.

Looking more at the register, it seems Gold's Pines and Cathedral Pines in Cornwall still have a lot of potential for tall pines: http://oak.conncoll.edu:8080/notabletre ... 114000.jpg

Joshua
"Be not simply good; be good for something." Henry David Thoreau

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:09 pm

Joshua,

I knew you lived close to Connecticut but I didn't realize you were that close. I'm less than 15 miles due East of Providence so I'm not that far either, but I'm certainly farther than you. Luckily CT is a small state so it doesn't take long to get to any part as long as you avoid times of heavy traffic.

Doug

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:28 am

Joshua and Doug,

I am interested in pitching in to the extent my time will allow. I've tried on a couple of occasions to lure the state coordinator into the Cadre. His primary assistant does know how to measure trees, so we have the historical material that is still circulating around and we have some pretty good measurements being taken. Like you, Doug, I have family ties, through Monic'a side, in Connecticut.

I have strong ties to Simsbury, CT and have promised the town folk that I would model the Pinchot sycamore for volume. It's a gargantuan job. If you two, Jared Lockwood, and myself tackled the job, we could do it, and do it well. Say in mid-April or May? We should talk our good friend Ray Asselin into filming the event. Ray tries to tell us different, but I know he loves Connecticut and will jump at any chance to drive down there. Expect a vehement denial from brother Ray, but that's all for show.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

RayA

Post by RayA » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:41 am

No denial from me. It's true... I love Connecticut so much that I live in a state that's as near to it as it can get! And I'd have absolutely no problem watching you guys work around the Pinchot monster. Oh, wait---- did you say April or May?? I'll double check, but I think I have to get a haircut then ....

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:41 pm

Ents,

See, Ray is pretending to disavow his unrestrained affection for the nutmeg state through humor. Didn't I warn you? But the more he does it, the more he's secretly communication his full embracing of CT. He loves to cruise the streets of Hartford at between 8:00PM and midnight. He can't get enough of New Haven. Stamford? Wal, what's not ta like? Danbury? Rumor is that he has a secret retirement home there.

Uh, enough silliness. On the serious side, modeling Pinchot would be fairly news worthy. Maybe American Forests would send a representative up from D.C.? Let's think big!

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Connecticut”