Large Betula lenta

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ryandallas

Large Betula lenta

Post by ryandallas » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:28 pm

Hello, all,

I hope everyone had a good Christmas and a good New Year's. My work load lessened greatly during the holidays. Having some free time on my hands, I measured a tree which, though not nearly as large as some of the behemoths featured on this website, is quite impressive for its species.

Species: Betula lenta
Height: At least 91 1/2 ft (straight-up laser shot)
Girth: 9' 6"
Diameter: 3' 1/4"
Crown Spread: ?

As you can see, the tree has developed a highly irregular crown, thus making the measuring of its height difficult. I opted for a straight-up laser shot. I didn't feel confident enough to attempt the sine method.

I also did not measure the spread. I've yet to measure a tree's spread, in fact. I hope to learn the techniques soon, now that I have more free time on my hands.

I hope everyone enjoys the photos and data!

--Ryan
Attachments
image(3).jpeg
image(2).jpeg
image(1).jpeg

Erik Danielsen

Re: Large Betula lenta

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:10 pm

Very nice birch! From what I can see most of the forest behind looks a bit younger than I'd imagine this birch to be, from the bark. Any info on the history of the stand, and have you bounced your laser up into any of those tulips and oaks behind? Crown spread is actually pretty easy, moreso than sine-based height measurement in some cases, since it's easier to get both distance and angle readings for a tree's trunk when using the "spoke" method (page 64 in the tree measuring guidelines handbook) than it is to find the highest point in the crown in a forest setting. More numbers, but an easier task.

If you're ever down around NYC, it'd be good to meet up. From where I am, you might be the closest ENT.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:59 pm

Ryan,

Good report and images. The birch is a big sucker. That's our first black birch in Connecticut. Into the database it goes.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:44 am

That is huge! Must be a legit state record, and among the largest NTS has recorded in total AF points. Elite class for sure!

-Will

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:03 pm

Will,

A single stem BB in Skinner SP has the impressive stats of H = 92.4 ft and G = 9.2 ft. A birch on Mount Tom measures H = 87.0 and G = 9.3 ft. Ryan's 9.5-footer becomes the third New England black to exceed 9 feet in circumference. His birch brings the total in the BB database to 636. I have a feeling that CT is loaded with large and tall BBs.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:00 pm

Wow, thanks for the great feedback, everyone! I can't believe this specimen is one of the big ones!

Erik: I'd love to meet up sometime. If you'd like, we could see/measure this tree: http://tmrives.com/writing/06.11.2013.html

So far as I can tell, this Betula lenta is a very old farm tree (hence the uber-wide canopy), and the surrounding groves are much younger. Lake Mohegan State Park was founded in the 1960s, I believe. This Betula lenta preceded the park, while the surrounding groves might not have. There aren't any tall in this park, really. Even the tulips top out in the 120-ft. range.

Bob: Thanks for the encouraging words! Indeed, there are many large Betula lenta in the Connecticut woods. But this is by far the largest I've found.

Will: Thanks! Here's the official CT champion Betula lenta: http://oak.conncoll.edu:8080/notabletre ... ted=225856 It's a multi-trunked tree with a huge fused base. No rightful champion.

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:28 pm

That'd be great, updating measurements of the Queens Giant is on my "to do" list. Drop me an email at er1kksen@gmail.com and we can figure something out for the future.

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:40 am

Thanks for posting this Ryan. Impressive birch.

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:36 pm

Will do, Erik.

Thanks, Bart! How have you been? Long time no talk.

Return to “Connecticut”