139' hickory, Derby, CT

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

RyanLeClair

139' hickory, Derby, CT

Post by RyanLeClair » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:46 pm

Today I measured a hickory Bart and I stumbled upon a few weeks ago. The tree grows in a ravine, so it's had to grow tall in order to get sun. I got 139' as a height. 7'10" circumference at breast height.

I think this height measurement is reliable. A few weeks ago I got 138 ft. on a straight-up, so 139 certainly is reasonable.

Now, a question: bitternut or mockernut????

Anyways, it's a neat tree--spectacular, even.
Attachments
Bark of the tree
Bark of the tree
My dad in front of the tree
My dad in front of the tree
Looking up the trunk
Looking up the trunk

ElijahW

Re: 139' hickory, Derby, CT

Post by ElijahW » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:45 pm

Ryan,

Very nice bitternut, as far as I can tell. I'm not real familiar with mockernut though, so I could be wrong. If you can find any nuts they're very easy to tell apart. That's usually my approach when I'm not sure about a hickory or oak. Is this old growth? The trees in the background look pretty uniform and slender, suggesting a harvest at some point.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

George Fieo

Post by George Fieo » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:47 pm

Ryan,

That's one impressive hickory! Congratulations to you and Bart. It looks like a bitternut to me. The easiest way to identify a bitternut is it's pointed yellow buds although they may be hard to see on forest grown trees. A good pair of binoculars may help.

George

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Definitely look for some nuts in the leaf litter. Bitternut have really thin shells and Mockernuts are very thick. This is a beauty- good find. I'm just now starting to document hickory species in metro-Atlanta. Jess and I have found a couple C. glabra over 140'. I've got one bitternut at 133' and I don't think i've gotten much over 120' for mockernut.

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:38 pm

Thank you for the ID help, guys. I don't think this is old-growth, but I'm not good at determining what is and isn't old-growth. There is a 120' x 12' sycamore not far from the hickory--that's probably got some age to it. But there also were a lot of beanpole sugar maples in the >1 ft DBH range.

Eli, do you have any photos of those C. glabra?

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:04 pm

I should... if I can dig them up I'll post them for you.

Return to “Connecticut”