Indian Well, CT - New Tuliptree Site

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Indian Well, CT - New Tuliptree Site

Post by dbhguru » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:23 pm

NTS,

Today Bart Bouricius and I went Indian Well State Park in Shelton, CT. The park borders the Housatonic River. Here is an aerial view of the part of the park. It is the green strip following the river.
IndianWellSP.jpg
Our quarry was tuliptrees and they are there in numbers. Here is a look at a beauty along the first trail we took. Its stats are girth = 10.6 feet, height = 144.2 feet.
INdianWellSPTT-1.jpg
The next to shots are to give a fell for the abundance and dominance of the tuliptrees in Indian Well SP.
INdianWellSPTTs.jpg
IndianWellSPTTs-2.jpg
All together, we confirmed at least 8 tulips over 140 feet. There are more, but not a lot more. However, the prize of the day was this beauty.
IndianWellSPTT152.jpg
This tuliptree measures 10.0 feet around and is 152.5 feet tall. Yes, another Connecticut site with 150s. We were understandably pleased. Bart located the tree with his eagle eye and I went up slope and worked to find the top. He got a 50-yard bounce from beneath, lying on the ground and looking up. I confirmed 152.5 as the tip top.

We measured other species and got some decent numbers. Here is a look at a double-stem sycamore measuring 14.75 feet around and 122.0 feet in height. We will return and do justice to the other species.
IndianWellSY.jpg
Near the end of our trek, we saw several trees that looked like sassafras. Here are three views. Any ideas?
IndianWellSP-Sassafras-1.jpg
IndianWellSP-Sassafras-2.jpg
IndianWellSP-sassafras-3.jpg
We tried to find leaves in the leaf layer, but couldn't make a positive identification.

I believe that Indian Well SP has an RHI of around 115. We'll see. It definitely justifies several return trips. Thanks, Ryan, for your prior scouting. We would have no clue about this location were it not for Ryan LeClair.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Re: Indian Well, CT - New Tuliptree Site

Post by edfrank » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:11 pm

Bob, Bart,

Looks like a great site. Tuliptrees continue to surprise in terms of size. For what it is worth, I think the tree in question is a sassafras. Generally you can scratch the bark in the grooves between plates and get that sassafras smell even on older specimens and get that sassafras smell.

FYI: Here is a fossil of a sassafras leaf (Sassafras hesperia) from the Eocene Period 36-55 million years ago) from the Klondike Mountain Formation of Washington and British Columbia:
436px-Sassafras_hesperia_01.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sassafras_hesperia

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:47 pm

Looks like sassafras bark to me, especially the first photo with the reddish bark.
-AJ

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:47 am

NTS,

I neglected to mention that in the Google image of Indian Well State Park, the park is on the left side of the river. Here is a map of Indian Well.
Picture 1.png
There are other Connecticut state parks to explore. Is there a 160-foot tuliptree out there? I sort of doubt it. There won't be a stand with a number of 160s. That's virtually guaranteed, although I'd love to have to eat my words. Maybe Ryan can find a stand with multiple 160s, but in the meantime, I'm happy to settle for one or two more sites with 150s. Here is another look at the new 150.
IndianWell-the 150-2.jpg
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

sam goodwin

Post by sam goodwin » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:16 pm

Bob, Bart, great job on those trees. How healthy is the tulip in the first picture? It looks like the rocks are holding it from falling over. Sam

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Sat Mar 31, 2012 1:21 pm

Awesome job, guys! Really exciting! You have made this Connecticut boy proud. Was that 152.5' tree on the Paugusset Trail?

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:37 pm

Sam,

Yep, that tulip is precariously balanced.

Ryan,

Yes, the 152.5-footer is on the Paugussett trail. Great spot! We want more, more, more! Here is a shot of the water fall on the first trail.
IndianWellWaterFall.jpg
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

tomhoward

Post by tomhoward » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:50 pm

The trees that look like sassafras look like sassafras to me. The first tree with the balding bark looks just like the old sassafras in the Wizard of Oz Oak Grove here in North Syracuse.

Tom Howard

ryandallas

Post by ryandallas » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:17 pm

Bob and Bart,

I know that was a long time ago, but do you remember where, roughly, that 152-footer was? Was it by the railroad tracks and the pond with the planted white pines? I've been scouring Indian Well/Birchbank, and I was excited to find another 150-footer, but I think I rediscovered your tree.

My measurements were 155 x 10'5".

Not that I don't have some more tricks up my sleeve--stay tuned!

Return to “Connecticut”