Nature's Halloween Tricks

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

sam goodwin

Nature's Halloween Tricks

Post by sam goodwin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:36 pm

On Sunday we went into Ct. to check on some trees. We checked the Pinchot Sycamore and it suffered some damage but it should not have much effect on it. The sycamores along route 202/10 in Simsbury only suffered minor damage.
030.JPG
031.JPG
032.JPG
The Dewey/Granby oak suffered significant damage, about one third of the tree. The Land Trust will bring in a arborist who specializes in old trees to see if it can be saved. The trust has signs posted to stay away and do not remove any of the tree. We checked the Granby black oak off route 20 and it only lost one branch. I will try and down load some pictures.
025.JPG
026.JPG
027.JPG
029.JPG
Sam Goodwin

sam goodwin

Re: Nature's Holloween Tricks

Post by sam goodwin » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:42 pm

PS, the pictures don't show just how much damage there is. Sam

dbhguru

Re: Nature's Halloween Tricks

Post by dbhguru » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:07 pm

Sam,

A tragedy of epic tree proportions. We'll never see this great tree again, as it existed at its best.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Wow, A tragedy ideed! I wanted to see that tree in its full glory when I come up, it was amazing. To bad, it always seems the best trees get hit. Mother nature can be tough sometimes. Larry

Marcboston

Post by Marcboston » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:01 pm

Oh man, I almost skipped this post. When I was out plowing I wondered how that tree faired. What a real bummer. I am so glad that I got to see and photograph it a few years ago. I visted the tree 2x. Once in late winter/early spring and once in the middle of summer. It was (is?) prettiest tree I have ever seen here in New England. Actually, one the prettiest trees I have ever seen. I hope that it can be saved and does not lose too much of its character. This stinks.

Marcboston

Post by Marcboston » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:05 pm

Does anyone know how the Sunderland Sycamore fair?

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:19 pm

Marc,

The Sunderland sycamore did take some hits, but nothing really major. We drove by it a few days ago and saw downed limbs, but none of the major ones. I think it is okay.

Bart and I went to the Elders Grove in MTSF today and those pines came through the snow storm in absolutely fine shape. I couldn't find the loss of even one limb. Amazing. Makes you wonder about the spirits of the Indians being honored there. I'm half joking and half serious.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Connecticut”