big Bur oak, Lancaster County, PA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tclikesbigtrees

big Bur oak, Lancaster County, PA

Post by tclikesbigtrees » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:32 pm

This past Saturday we made our yearly trek to Lancaster, PA for the Cherry Crest Farm corn field maze. As I am always looking for big trees, this trip would be no different. I had seen on the Pennsylvania big tree website that there was supposed to be a Black Walnut on Lincoln Highway (Route 30) in Paradise. I thought that should be easy to find, so we will go to see that. Well to my surprise, it is not a Black Walnut but a Bur Oak. I don't know how someone could have confused the two. It is a beautiful one at that. I was very glad that we had stopped to see it. It is at the Country Patches Vacation Home.

Tom
Attachments
IMG_5039[1].JPG
IMG_5037[1].JPG
IMG_5040[1].JPG

Larry Tucei

Re: big Bur oak, Lancaster County, PA

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:36 pm

A really nice Bur Oak thanks for sharing. Larry

Rand

Re: big Bur oak, Lancaster County, PA

Post by Rand » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:06 pm

Well to my surprise, it is not a Black Walnut but a Bur Oak. I don't know how someone could have confused the two.
I bet they didn't get close enough to see the individual leaves and were fooled by the open, leggy look of the small branches & limbs, with clumps of leaves along them. It's sorta similar to a black walnut, but the small branches are more crooked and of course the architecture of the major limbs is completely different.

Return to “Dutch Country - South Central”