The great 31ft CBH Eastern Cottonwood of Halifax PA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

John Harvey

The great 31ft CBH Eastern Cottonwood of Halifax PA

Post by John Harvey » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:50 pm

I made a visit to this tree a couple months ago, PA Big Trees.com lists this as the second largest tree in the state. The owner is very friendly and very proud of his tree, the week before my visit there was a thunder storm and the tree was struck by lightning 4 times in one night! The owner said it was literaly "glowing" afterwards. Only a small amount of bark fell from the tree however. The size of this trunk is amazing, very few trees on the east coast can boast a CBH of over 30ft and this is one. Its height is listed at 106ft, spread 108ft and Cir 367in for a total of 501 points. I measured the trunk however at 31ft 10in. Below are a few shots. It is considerd a multitrunk tree but the second trunk is rather small.
Attachments
Halifax Cottonwood.jpg
Halifax Cottonwood (4).jpg
Halifax Cottonwood (1).jpg
Cottonwood HalifaxPA 32ft.jpg
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

Rand

Re: The great 31ft CBH Eastern Cottonwood of Halifax PA

Post by Rand » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:28 pm

Wow, that's a monster. Cottonwoods are some of the biggest, fastest growing trees in NW Ohio, but I don't see them get that big.

edfrank

Re: The great 31ft CBH Eastern Cottonwood of Halifax PA

Post by edfrank » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:03 pm

John,

Very nice report. Thanks for posting and including photos. These big trees are impressive.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Dutch Country - South Central”