Inspirational Tree

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

RyanLeClair

Inspirational Tree

Post by RyanLeClair » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:12 pm

The following tree is a pin oak. It is to be found in the woods adjacent to Elizabethtown College, Elizabethtown, PA. A vandal went through these woods and cut some trees along the trail. This pin oak was one of the trees damaged. The vandal girdled the tree with a chainsaw. However, as of April the tree was vigorous and leafing out.

The chainsaw work, though thorough, left a sliver of cambium. Is that why the tree was able to leaf?
Attachments
102_1759.JPG
102_1761.JPG

Joe

Re: Inspirational Tree

Post by Joe » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:07 am

RyanLeClair wrote:The following tree is a pin oak. It is to be found in the woods adjacent to Elizabethtown College, Elizabethtown, PA. A vandal went through these woods and cut some trees along the trail. This pin oak was one of the trees damaged. The vandal girdled the tree with a chainsaw. However, as of April the tree was vigorous and leafing out.

The chainsaw work, though thorough, left a sliver of cambium. Is that why the tree was able to leaf?
Do you have a theory why somebody would do this? I've heard of youthful vandals knocking over gravestones, but girdling trees? That is weird.
Joe

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:20 am

Never underestimate the insanity of any human. Remember what those asswipe teenagers did to the big sycamore in Webster Springs WV.

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:55 pm

Joe, all I can say is that Elizabethtown is pretty big into farming, so there might be a "trees are the enemy" mentality in the area. However, even up here in CT I've seen vandalized trees. Not far from my house there's a sweet birch someone girdled with an ax; it fell a couple of months ago. Then there was the "tree massacre" in Bridgeport, CT: someone with a chainsaw girdled dozens of American sycamores (possibly a nearby resident who wanted a better view of the ocean--not kidding!!!)

Rand

Post by Rand » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:00 pm

I once saw a ~2' dbh silver maple that was girdled with a chain saw like that and appeared to be recovering. The cambium had grown back together in paces, bridging over the saw wounds. I should go back and see how it is doing.

Joe

Post by Joe » Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Rand wrote:I once saw a ~2' dbh silver maple that was girdled with a chain saw like that and appeared to be recovering. The cambium had grown back together in paces, bridging over the saw wounds. I should go back and see how it is doing.
Speaking of silver maples, hey Bob L., have you ever measured those huge silver maples on main street in Northampton, at the old County Courthouse?

Joe

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:19 pm

Joe,

No, I haven't measured that one. I see it regularly, but I would feel very self conscious about measuring it in full view of lots of people.

There are dozens of very large silver maples in the Connecticut River Valley. West Springfield, Northampton, and Hadley all have some real beauties. I've measured lots of them but nowhere near all. Silver maple is probably the most abundant large deciduous tree in the Valley. Many are between 75 and 125 years old. Some are older, around 150.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Chris

Post by Chris » Fri Nov 25, 2011 11:19 pm

College campus would suggest some sort of drug, probably alcohol, plaid a part in getting someone to carry it out?

RyanLeClair

Post by RyanLeClair » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:14 pm

Indeed there probably was some alcohol going around. Hopefully the tree pulls through.

Return to “Dutch Country - South Central”