Help - Tree in Colver, Cambria County, PA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Help - Tree in Colver, Cambria County, PA

Post by edfrank » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:45 pm

I received this message on our Facebook page;
Mr. Frank,

There is a massive tree in Cambria county in Colver, where I had lived for a few years. I don't know what it was, peeling white paper bark. It is located between 2nd and 3rd streets on the top left side. It is in the grassy alleyway, where the backyards meet. Colver is a 100 year old small mining town with only two roads in and out. Only one stop sign. If you know of anyone in the Ebensburg area who might be able to locate the tree that would be great. I'm in Kentucky at my second home, the other is in Johnstown. I won't be back until Easter.

A few years ago, the neighbors had decided to trim the lowest branches. I couldn't stop them because the limbs encroached into the neighbors yard on both sides. The house lots are all 50ft wide. Both the left and right limbs were over 40ft. (half of the owners lot plus half of the other two neighbors). The tree must be over 200ft tall, it's that massive. The lots are all 150ft long and I know it exceeded that.

I do not know if the tree would survive such a drastic cut or if it would lose strength or balance. It's very windy there on the ridge and the snow stays the longest of anywhere else.

Thanks,
Terri
If there is anyone who is going to be in the area with measurement tools, please check it out. I will contact Mr. Thompson, as the tree clearly is not 200 feet tall. Maybe a big sycamore?
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

edfrank

Re: Help - Tree in Colver, Cambria County, PA

Post by edfrank » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:07 pm

There is a big tree at the address mentioned:
colver_tree.JPG
The place is only about 55 miles from me, but I am unsure if I can get down to check it out.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Will Blozan

Re: Help - Tree in Colver, Cambria County, PA

Post by Will Blozan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:13 pm

Ed,

Definitely looks like a sycamore and also about 1/2 the dimensions claimed. They should contact a certified arborist but still, the neighbors can likely do what they want.

Will

Return to “Alleghenies and Ridge and Valley Areas”