Spackmans Creek Pine, Delaware Water Gap NRA

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Spackmans Creek Pine, Delaware Water Gap NRA

Postby Erik Danielsen » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:07 pm

Darn, that's unfortunate, but something I know we've all done a few times! When I was down on that small terrace in Zoar Valley with the tallest Shagbark Hickory, the day before you arrived, I sighted a tuliptree growing from the steep slope on the opposite side of the gorge and shot the top, shot the bottom, and wouldn't you believe it was almost 165' tall! I almost sent you an elated text message right then and there. Of course, after milling around a bit and trying to get some other angles (there was no real way to access it at that point), It became clear that I was putting the top of a tulip farther upslope together with the base of a totally different tree.
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 238 times
Has Been Liked: 280 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Spackmans Creek Pine, Delaware Water Gap NRA

Postby Bart Bouricius » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:57 am

Talk about humble pie, back in March, I measured a Mexican Elm in Costa Rica.  I was with Jeremy Quiros, who had spotted the tree from a bridge.  We were in a hurry on our way back from a measuring trip near there, so I hastily wrote down the numbers to do the math later, but when I got back I assumed the smaller height was negative, or below the level point since I no longer had the tree to look at.   In summary I was adding when I should have been subtracting.  On a subsequent trip to verify my ridiculously tall measurement of 323.7' tall, I had to change the measurement to around 200'.  Fortunately I did not post the first calculation, and eventually Jeremy, who later hiked to the tree,  did the post with the accurate measurements of this and a few other elms, so I was saved from extreme embarrassment.

For this message the author Bart Bouricius has received Likes :
bbeduhn
Bart Bouricius

Has Liked: 106 times
Has Been Liked: 295 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: Spackmans Creek Pine, Delaware Water Gap NRA

Postby bbeduhn » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:44 am

Bart,
I've done that on a few occasions as well. Fortunately, I've caught most of the errors but a couple of them had been published. Humble pie isn't all that tasty but at least it's low in sugar.
Brian
bbeduhn

Has Liked: 1089 times
Has Been Liked: 467 times
Print view this post

#14)  Re: Spackmans Creek Pine, Delaware Water Gap NRA

Postby ElijahW » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:02 pm

Thanks, guys.  I appreciate the honesty.  It's a reminder to get back to basics, regardless of the accuracy of your methods or equipment.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks
ElijahW

Has Liked: 208 times
Has Been Liked: 245 times
Print view this post

#15)  Re: Spackmans Creek Pine, Delaware Water Gap NRA

Postby dbhguru » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:10 am

Guys,

We all have embarrassing stories to tell about mis-measuring. But that is where learning really takes off.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 3 times
Has Been Liked: 1061 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Northeast Pennsylvania Mountains