IDing The patterns and colors of Old Growth on Google Earth

Discussions of trees, forests, trip reports and site descriptions of other locations in Eastern United States, Canada, and Greenland.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: IDing The patterns and colors of Old Growth on Google Ea

Postby edfrank » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:22 pm

The thing is, that while some of this is old school forestry knowledge in photo analysis, most of us to not want to goo back to school to get a degree in forestry just to pick out good tree locations on Google Earth photos.  What we need are just the basic needs of identifying old growth on photos from secondary growth.  I play with this as do many others in the group.  If people have tips on how to do it, then I welcome their posts to the group.  It need not be groundbreaking or new to science but practical tips on what to pick out are always welcome.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 703 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#12)  Re: IDing The patterns and colors of Old Growth on Google Ea

Postby sungirlblue » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:08 pm

JD
“For me, trees have always been the most penetrating preachers. I revere them when they live in tribes and families, in forests and groves. And even more I revere them when they stand alone." ― Hermann Hesse, Bäume. Betrachtungen und Gedichte

i love this...i love the writings of hermann hesse, yet this i've not read 'til now. thank you ~
the trees, they dance. i love to watch ~

For this message the author sungirlblue has received Likes :
John Harvey
sungirlblue

Has Liked: 46 times
Has Been Liked: 5 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Eastern United States, Canada, and Greenland