Its time to play...Multi-trunk or Single-trunk! YOU decide.

Discussions of trees, forests, trip reports and site descriptions of other locations in Eastern United States, Canada, and Greenland.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Its time to play...Multi-trunk or Single-trunk! YOU deci

Postby edfrank » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:22 pm

Guys,

The pith method will still result in some disagreements about a small number trees,  The point to remember is that almost all of the really egregious examples of multitrunk trees will be weeded out if the pith method is accepted and used in a responsible manner.  Maybe it is not perfect, but it is enormously better that the present situation.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

For this message the author edfrank has received Likes - 3:
Chris, Jess Riddle, tsharp
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 697 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Its time to play...Multi-trunk or Single-trunk! YOU deci

Postby Don » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:30 pm

Ed-
You're on the money...especially on these one view challenges.  Will and Jess are exactly right, there are a number of Johnny's images that there just isn't enough views to make a good judgement.
If our current recommendations hold sway (a photo of the bottom 10' from each quadrant if possible), having four images to view will I think, bring about more consensus.
Now if Michael Taylor can work up a simple Structure from Motion program that 'rotates' the four image delineations through one revolution and seek a best fit, hmmm, I think we'd be getting close...
But yeah, what we seek will be immensely better than what we have had.
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

For this message the author Don has received Likes :
Will Blozan
Don

Has Liked: 64 times