Trees falling in Hurricane Sandy

Discussions of trees, forests, trip reports and site descriptions of other locations in Eastern United States, Canada, and Greenland.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Trees falling in Hurricane Sandy

Postby John Harvey » Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Some of you may have seen this months ago on ABC news after Hurricane Sandy but thought I would post it. The video this kid shoots in the begining is crazy. It is worth a watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vThSFXzFKto
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox

For this message the author John Harvey has received Likes - 2:
Jess Riddle, Larry Tucei
John Harvey

Has Liked: 342 times
Has Been Liked: 432 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Trees falling in Hurricane Sandy

Postby Larry Tucei » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:38 am

Johnny,     The video reminds me of the past Hurricanes I've been through. 1979 Cat 3-4 Hurricane Frederick, 1985 Cat 3 Hurricane Elena, and 1998 Cat 3 Hurricane Georges. I watched trees blow down, roofs blow off, etc.  I have been through several more Hurricanes but during these three I was in and on the edge of the Eyes-- Not Fun!!  The tornados these storms spawn down here are unbelievable. Hurricane Frederick was estimated to have over 500. We had 6 hours of 125+ wind speeds with gusts to 145!  I don't stay home anymore if a Hurricane gets beyond a Cat 2. Water is the main killer; Hurricane Katrina for example put water to 40' above sea level in Waveland, Bay St. Louis Ms. back in 2005. Thanks for sharing.  Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 660 times
Has Been Liked: 573 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Trees falling in Hurricane Sandy

Postby John Harvey » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:21 am

Yeah here in Jersey we usually get weak, toned down hurricanes. I live between Philadelphia and Atlantic City and even though the shore here got hit hard, billions in damages, where I am at it just felt like a strong thunderstorm. Its amazing how strong they can be near the coast and how just 30 or 40 miles inland they lose power.
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox
John Harvey

Has Liked: 342 times
Has Been Liked: 432 times
Print view this post

Return to Eastern United States, Canada, and Greenland