New Book

Discussions of Urban Forests and trees in general, including their growth, care, and impact on society. Discussions of specific trees, parks or forests in urban areas should be included in the proper forum of the Trip Reports and Site Descriptin category of this BBS.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jenny

New Book

Post by Jenny » Sat May 18, 2013 6:19 am

Beautiful images of New York City trees in this book entitled...um...."New York City of Trees".

http://www.benjaminswett.com/gallery/Tr ... /index.php

Jenny
CoverforLaura01noblackedge422pixels.jpg
CoverforLaura01noblackedge422pixels.jpg (173.44 KiB) Viewed 1058 times
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Joe

Re: New Book

Post by Joe » Sat May 18, 2013 8:36 am

Jenny, nice photo! Is that in central park? I went there last fall and really loved it. I was very impressed at all the elms- and I could see that they have a very good arborist crew- they do great shaping/trimming of trees. I saw mostly the southern half of the park- next time I'll check out the northern half. I saw several other small parks while walking around Manhatten. They all look nice. A friend who lives in NYC said much of the work is done by volunteers.
Joe

Jenny

Re: New Book

Post by Jenny » Sun May 19, 2013 5:47 am

Joe,

I'm so glad you were able to see the wonderful trees of NYC! And it's good to know that the arborists are doing a good job. I wouldn't necessarily have known that. Yes, do get to the northern areas. Especially above 103rd St. The Ravine and North Woods are more wild looking...as far as Central Park goes. Also, Inwood Park has a stunning grove of Tulips.

I don't know if the tree is the photo is in Central Park. It wasn't indicated.

Because of this book, I am inspired to try to take pix of trees again (as well as birds, of course!).

Jenny

Speaking of birds.....here's a photo of a male Common Yellowthroat:
DSC00390.JPG
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Return to “Urban Forests, Trees, and Landscapes”