Deathly Tree Limb Collapses in NYC

Discussions of Urban Forests and trees in general, including their growth, care, and impact on society. Discussions of specific trees, parks or forests in urban areas should be included in the proper forum of the Trip Reports and Site Descriptin category of this BBS.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jenny

Deathly Tree Limb Collapses in NYC

Post by Jenny » Mon May 14, 2012 7:56 am

Joe brought this NY Times article from today to my attention. The ignorance of tree inspectors and budget cuts are some of the causes behind collapsing tree limbs that have caused deaths and serious injuries all over the city. This is worth reading.

My favorite ridiculous quote from Adrian Beppe, the parks commissioner is "“The only absolute correction,” Mr. Benepe continued, “would be to have no trees at all..." Huh? Granted, it's a newspaper article and the quote may be way out of context.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/14/nyreg ... =1&_r=1&hp
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Joe

Re: Deathly Tree Limb Collapses in NYC

Post by Joe » Mon May 14, 2012 9:51 am

Jenny wrote:Joe brought this NY Times article from today to my attention. The ignorance of tree inspectors and budget cuts are some of the causes behind collapsing tree limbs that have caused deaths and serious injuries all over the city. This is worth reading.

My favorite ridiculous quote from Adrian Beppe, the parks commissioner is "“The only absolute correction,” Mr. Benepe continued, “would be to have no trees at all..." Huh? Granted, it's a newspaper article and the quote may be way out of context.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/14/nyreg ... =1&_r=1&hp
I'll presume the tree crews are good workers- but with so many trees, and cutbacks, it must be tough to keep up- especially with all the nasty storms in recent years. It's also not easy to know if a tree is going to break and drop a limb. Of course some are easy to see but some limbs are not that easy to predict how they'll behave the next time a heavy rain or snow storm occurs.

I should think the city should have signs up- warning people- after all, even if the city tries very hard to prevent such problems, there really is no way to stop them entirely. People have to understand there is some risk and bare some of the responsibility. I think extra effort is required near trails and over picnic tables and other recreational sites, but away from such areas- people need to be careful.

The signs could say something about looking up when walking under trees - that's what I do when in the woods and so far... knock on wood...
Joe

Rand

Post by Rand » Mon May 14, 2012 12:16 pm

I guess the chances of any one person being hit by a tree branch are miniscule..on the other hand if there is always a stream of people passing under the tree, when a limb inevitable falls someone will get it.

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Mon May 14, 2012 12:28 pm

Joe,

Signs! Good idea! Better than those million dollar law suits. And it is true that the odds of getting hit by a tree branch in a city of 8 million are pretty slim. But with the number of violent storms we've had in the past few years, extra vigilance is definitely needed.

I'm going to write about the signs in the comments section, unless you already have.

Jenny
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon May 14, 2012 1:11 pm

Jenny wrote:Joe,

Signs! Good idea! Better than those million dollar law suits. And it is true that the odds of getting hit by a tree branch in a city of 8 million are pretty slim. But with the number of violent storms we've had in the past few years, extra vigilance is definitely needed.

I'm going to write about the signs in the comments section, unless you already have.

Jenny
I haven't, I'll leave it to you.

I and my "partner" Elizabeth are hoping to go to NYC this summer- she's from the Boston area and never been to NY. I used to go a lot, mostly back in the '70s to the art museums, but also frequently walked in central park. It seemed strange to walk in the forest and look around and see huge buildings. Very weird for a forester from Mass. I recently saw a video series about NYC - including a story about the history of central park- how it was once a nasty part of the city.
Joe

Return to “Urban Forests, Trees, and Landscapes”