Mallard attacked by dog in Central Park

Discussions of Urban Forests and trees in general, including their growth, care, and impact on society. Discussions of specific trees, parks or forests in urban areas should be included in the proper forum of the Trip Reports and Site Descriptin category of this BBS.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jenny

Mallard attacked by dog in Central Park

Post by Jenny » Sun May 13, 2012 7:49 am

ENTS,

This is a wrenching story of a dog that attacked and injured a female mallard so seriously that it had to be euthanized. A Park Ranger found the duck near the pond in the southeast section of the park and brought it to the bird rehab center WIld Bird Fund. Half the beak and tongue were bitten off and there were lacerations on the back of the head. The bird had to be euthanized.

There are certain times in the early morning when dogs are allowed to be off-leash and this has lead to some pretty bad consequences for wildlife. Waterfowl in particular. I know that it is the minority of dog owners who can't control their dogs, or have no clue how dangerous their dogs can be if they jump in the lakes and ponds, for example (that is NOT allowed - but where is a Park Ranger when you need one....I try to gently tell people not to do this, but usually people that abuse the privilege in the first place just ignore me or tell me to mind my own business!).

The story was picked up by the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/11/nyreg ... .html?_r=1

Jenny
Attachments
image320x240.jpg
image320x240.jpg (62.4 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Chris

Re: Mallard attacked by dog in Central Park

Post by Chris » Sun May 13, 2012 1:18 pm

yikes, that looks pretty awful

Jenny

Re: Mallard attacked by dog in Central Park

Post by Jenny » Fri May 18, 2012 6:37 am

Wicked sad. Other horrifying cases which come in involve people shooting birds with BB guns or arrows. Disgusting.

Jenny
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

Return to “Urban Forests, Trees, and Landscapes”