Looking for help with 100+ yr old tree in need of "surgery"

Discussions of Urban Forests and trees in general, including their growth, care, and impact on society. Discussions of specific trees, parks or forests in urban areas should be included in the proper forum of the Trip Reports and Site Descriptin category of this BBS.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

lilyparroti

Looking for help with 100+ yr old tree in need of "surgery"

Post by lilyparroti » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:18 pm

I have an old oak tree that's huge! My neighbor says it's over 100 years old. A freak wind storm in November snapped one of its branches, setting it on another branch at the very top of the tree. It looks to me like it just needs the snapped branch removed and maybe the place where it broke off tidied up a bit. The town wants to cut the tree to the ground. Can anyone recommend a washington dc tree service that could satisfy the town ordinances without destroying my beautiful oak?
Last edited by lilyparroti on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdavie

Re: Looking for help with 100+ yr old tree in need of "surge

Post by mdavie » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:26 am

Go here to find an arborist near you, or you can check here if you want to get a consulting arborist first (though many of the ISA arborists are also consulting arborists)

lilyparroti

Re: Looking for help with 100+ yr old tree in need of "surge

Post by lilyparroti » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:53 pm

Thanks, for the links, mdavie. But now I'm more confused than ever. What's the difference between an arborist and a consulting arborist? Which one would I look for in my case?

Return to “Urban Forests, Trees, and Landscapes”