Historic Longleaf Pines

Discussions of Urban Forests and trees in general, including their growth, care, and impact on society. Discussions of specific trees, parks or forests in urban areas should be included in the proper forum of the Trip Reports and Site Descriptin category of this BBS.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

TN_Tree_Man

Historic Longleaf Pines

Post by TN_Tree_Man » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:59 pm

Ed, NTS,

Here is a neat story regarding some historical Long leaf pines I recently came across; called the Boxed Pines in Southern Pines, NC. Perhaps some in the Carolinas are familiar (?)

http://tclf.org/sites/default/files/mic ... pines.html

Steve Springer
"One can always identify a dogwood tree by it's bark."

Larry Tucei

Re: Historic Longleaf Pines

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:31 pm

Steve, That is such a rare sight to see the acutal marks used when gathering the sap. Cool post. I think I remember reading something on this at Longleaf Alliance Webpage. I have found a couple of bent up rusting tins that were used during this process years ago but I didn't think to keep them. I even found a standing lighter stump about 4' tall with the cuttings still evident on it. I should have dug it up it's the only one I've ever seen. Down here LL grow to about 80-100' and I've seen them to 75-100 years. I wish I could have see the 300-500 year old monsters of since past. Larry

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:16 pm

NTS,

I HIGHLY recommend the book, Looking for Longleaf. Excellent read and highly researched. At times utterly depressing but it has some great stories of restoration to keep from feeling too pissed at humanity.

http://www.uncpress.unc.edu/browse/page/141

Will

TN_Tree_Man

Post by TN_Tree_Man » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:04 pm

I HIGHLY recommend the book, Looking for Longleaf
I also have read this book and second the recommendation. It is an interesting read.

Larry-

I'm thinking that you have germinated LL seed, true? If so, what have you done to release seedlings from the grass stage to the bottle brush stage of growth?

Steve Springer
"One can always identify a dogwood tree by it's bark."

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:11 pm

Steve, I did germinate some once but the damn squirrels got to them. I'll do some this season. I also transplaned some seedling's and you guessed it damn squirrels got to those and they were doing great. I know it takes years 5-7 to get through the grass stage. Larry

Return to “Urban Forests, Trees, and Landscapes”