Trees at the 9/11 Memorial

Discussions of Urban Forests and trees in general, including their growth, care, and impact on society. Discussions of specific trees, parks or forests in urban areas should be included in the proper forum of the Trip Reports and Site Descriptin category of this BBS.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jenny

Trees at the 9/11 Memorial

Post by Jenny » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:28 pm

ENTS,

I've been visiting the 9/11 Memorial quite a bit. Yes, I wanted to see the beautiful pools and reflect on those who lost their lives, BUT the real reason for my frequents visits is to rescue a very wily pigeon named Fred. It's going to take forever as he flies, but he's just been hanging there with the NYPD, Port Authority Police, and 9/11 Security for 5 weeks! They had been feeding him and giving him water (and still are on the sly), but a stupid New York Post article caused a debacle saying they were mocking the pigeon, making fun of it, treating it badly, as well as calling the pigeon "mean". This couldn't be further from the truth. The bird is tame and somehow escaped from a home. And the police and security were taking care of him. They loved him and Freddy loved them.

Anyway, the REAL ENTS' post is about the tree selection and expectations from the trees in the Plaza. They replanted a valiant Callery Pear that actually survived amidst the massive destruction. It was transported to a park in the Bronx, then moved back in time for the opening of the Memorial in September. They chose, I believe exclusively, Quercus bicolor for the Plaza. I had read that Sweet Gum trees were also to be included, but the article I am including says that they decided against this because the Fall foliage was too bright. Huh? But I need to investigate. They sell Sweet Gum copper ornaments in the Gift Shop (yes, there is, of course, a gift shop), so there must be a reason for this.

Anyway here's an interesting perspective of the plantings from Horticulture Magazine:

http://www.hortmag.com/plants/9-11-memorial-trees

Being oaks, the leaves are still clinging to the trees, so I will try to get some interesting, appropriate pix that show how closely together the trees are planted and also show their approximate age for those of you who can gauge this. Don't know about the viability of this, but I assume they expect to replace trees at intervals. The site is actually incomplete, There is a massive museum being constructed underneath the Plaza - big enough to house a fire engine and large steel girders (is that the word?).

Having been here in NYC during all this in 2001 and then watching and experiencing the media circus, I don't know if I will even want to visit the museum. Most of the visitors are from other parts of the country and from all over the world. I understand wanting to visit if you are from out of town.

So there's more info than necessary.....no matter what spiritual or religious beliefs you have, PRAY that I rescue this bird before the truly bitter cold settles in. The wind will whip east from the Hudson. And, yes, that's hard on Fred, but I have to be there for at least 2 hours a day! AHHHHHHH! Come ON FREDDY!

Jenny
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

AndrewJoslin

Re: Trees at the 9/11 Memorial

Post by AndrewJoslin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:40 pm

Good luck with Freddy. I have a long bamboo pole and net which I use for that kind of situation. I'm sure you have a method worked out.

Click on image to see its original size

-AJ

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:46 pm

Jenny wrote:...They chose, I believe exclusively, Quercus bicolor for the Plaza. I had read that Sweet Gum trees were also to be included, but the article I am including says that they decided against this because the Fall foliage was too bright. Huh? But I need to investigate.
Everyone's a critic but I hate the way architects and many landscape designers often choose only one tree species for their urban site designs, visual continuity seems to trump smart tree planning. Quercus bicolor is my sneaky favorite oak species, really interesting form and I like the swampy habitat where it naturally grows. Unfortunately monoculture invites failure, I wish they would've mixed it up a little.
-AJ

Beth

Post by Beth » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:55 pm

I belong to the International Oak Society and there was a thread on these trees a while back. It was brought up, even in this group, IOS, that you should never have a monoculture of anything. We, the US, have done this in the past. We first lined all of our streets with American Elms then came along Dutch Elm Disease then we lined them with Bradford Pears only to find out that these trees loose major branches in minor winds. The other point that was made was noone knew if they figured in the deep and broad root system that each tree has. The IOS thought it would have been nice to include trees from where the people whom lost their lives but then someone might have been left out, tropical trees. I'm sure there was more that came up but I can't remember.

Beth
Trees are the Answer

AndrewJoslin

Post by AndrewJoslin » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:54 am

Congrats on catching Freddy the 9/11 Memorial pigeon!

Return to “Urban Forests, Trees, and Landscapes”