Central Park Snow Storm (mostly trees!)

Discussions of Urban Forests and trees in general, including their growth, care, and impact on society. Discussions of specific trees, parks or forests in urban areas should be included in the proper forum of the Trip Reports and Site Descriptin category of this BBS.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jenny

Central Park Snow Storm (mostly trees!)

Post by Jenny » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:27 pm

Another snow storm to run around in. Here's CP, trees, birds, and some vistas. Frustrated with the blurriness and muted colors when I transfer my video to vimeo or you tube.

Jenny
http://vimeo.com/18547733
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

edfrank

Re: Central Park Snow Storm (mostly trees!)

Post by edfrank » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:37 pm

Jenny,

With the free service on Vimeo you can upload one HD video per week. That might ease some of the blurriness. i don't know what to say about the muted color. They don't look bad to me. Maybe there is some color management settings on your computer/monitor that need to be adjusted. I suppose you over-saturate your color when editing and then perhaps the processing in Vimeo or Youtube might bring it back to the levels you want?

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:42 pm

Jenny,

Very very nice video. You are doing an excellent job with these videos. The colors look fine and just about perfect to me. I don't think they are undersaturated. I know many of us have the saturation level on our TV's cranked up so that even people who are not John Boehner look orange, maybe that is contributing to the impression that the colors are muted.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:01 am

Jenny,

It is a beautiful video. I love the music too!

You are proof that all great Ents don't measure trees.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:27 am

edfrank wrote:Jenny,

Very very nice video. You are doing an excellent job with these videos. The colors look fine and just about perfect to me. I don't think they are undersaturated. I know many of us have the saturation level on our TV's cranked up so that even people who are not John Boehner look orange, maybe that is contributing to the impression that the colors are muted.

Ed
and never forget when pronouncing the name of our new Speaker of the House- he claims it's Bay-ner, not Boner which is what it should be. (ha, ha)
Joe

Joe

Post by Joe » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:38 am

Jenny, I consider your video very professional. I've tried video but found it's very difficult. It takes a lot of time to learn all the technology and to develop a style.

Since you're in the city- do you film mostly trees and birds or do you do urban video? I should think the city is limitless in possibilities. I know you have shown other videos to ENTS but this is the first I've looked at- and I like it very much.
Joe

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:08 am

Jenny,

We have about 2 inches of snow on the ground now and they are predicting a big snow for the NC mountains starting tomorrow night. It is looking like another snowy winter like last year.
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Jenny

Post by Jenny » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I did saturate the pix more than usual for this video and I do think it's better than the last one.

And yes, NYC video possibilities ARE limitless. I choose the birds and trees and parks as a way to decompress from the city. I like my roof and the view out the back windows because it is virtually the same view as the 1920s! I did once make a video of my commute to New York Botanical Gardens which was all subway. Let me see if I can find it....nope, lost in one of the many computer crashes and, pathetically, I can never figure out how to upload from my external hard drives. Luddite.

Jenny
Suburbia is where the developer bulldozes out the trees, then names the streets after them. ~Bill Vaughn

tomhoward

Post by tomhoward » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:07 pm

Jenny,

Wonderful video! The music is absolutely beautiful, in perfect harmony with the images. It is a magical snowstorm in a magical place, creating a feeling of oneness and peace with the universe. I can't think of a better statement of what ENTS is all about, of how sacred our connection to nature is. It's one of the most beautiful videos I've ever seen.

Tom Howard

Return to “Urban Forests, Trees, and Landscapes”