Laserscan of a big Open Grown Oak

General discussions of forests and trees that do not focus on a specific species or specific location.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Laserscan of a big Open Grown Oak

Postby Rand » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:59 pm

Here's a pop-sci type demonstration of a laserscan of a big English Oak tree (~15' cbh).  Supposedly they calculated a total branch length 12Km(7.2miles) on the thing.

https://youtu.be/mAqR4XYKeX0?t=1845
(~5 minutes,  You can can back up 1 minute for a very ENTS-not-approved measurement of the CBH/dead reckoning of its age at ~200 yrs using a ball of twine and measuring the length with a guy's arm-span from his nose)
Rand

Has Liked: 270 times
Has Been Liked: 374 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Laserscan of a big Open Grown Oak

Postby Larry Tucei » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:34 am

Randy-   The Laser scan imagery is really cool. I wonder how much an instrument like that would cost?  Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 707 times
Has Been Liked: 592 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Laserscan of a big Open Grown Oak

Postby Rand » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:58 pm

Larry Tucei wrote:Randy-   The Laser scan imagery is really cool. I wonder how much an instrument like that would cost?  Larry

I dunno....Google searches keep dead-ending on pages that say 'Call for Price'.  How good are you at research grant applications again?

More seriously, I did think it was noteworthy in that they seemed to have automated Van Pelt's crown surveying+rebuild in excel methods he showed us at Congaree.
Rand

Has Liked: 270 times
Has Been Liked: 374 times
Print view this post

Return to General Discussions