A new use of statistics and lists

General Chat about any topic.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: A new use of statistics and lists

Postby MarkGraham » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:02 pm

It looks like the easternmost 200 foot trees in the United States are in Northwest Montana and North Central Idaho.

There don't appear to be any 200 foot trees in the eastern United States, at least not anymore.

The tallest tree in the eastern United States, which I believe is in western North Carolina, has about an 1,800 mile prominence to the 200 footers in Montana and Idaho but a lesser 1,600 or so mile prominence to the tall tropical trees in Central America.
MarkGraham

Has Liked: 25 times
Has Been Liked: 17 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: A new use of statistics and lists

Postby dbhguru » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:20 pm

Mark,

Yes, the tallest tree known in the eastern U.S. is the Fork Branch tuliptree at 191.9 feet in the Smokies of North Carolina. Will climbed that tree. There's another tulip that 187 I think. The Boogerman Pine, also in the Smokies, was once measured at 207 feet, but now about 189. And yes, I think you are correct with respect to where we first encounter 200-footers in the West.

Once we pass beyond Ohio, the numbers drop. Then they start rising again in the Rockies. We're holding at 180.6 feet in Colorado. But we have to get the Pacific species to climb into the really big numbers.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1078 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Off-topic - Post About Anything Here