A New Book - Must Reading for Ents

General discussion forums related to trees and forests.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  A New Book - Must Reading for Ents

Postby dbhguru » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:55 pm

Hi Ents,

My Friend Rich Higgins has announced is new book Thoreau and the Language of Trees. I am reproducing that announcement below. Rich has done yeoman service in writing this new book on Thoreau. It is the best exploration of Thoreau's connection to trees that we have. Others have written extensively about Thoreau, but often their connection to trees is more abstract. It takes a true tree lover to get it right. Rich's book is a must acquisition for anyone interested in understanding Thoreau's deep association with trees.

Congratulations Rich. I look forward to your presentation tomorrow at Smith College.

Bob

==========================================================================================================================
Richard Higgins would like to announce:

Thoreau was glad that he was born in the “most estimable place in all the world, and in the very nick of time, too.” I, too, am glad—that my book on his lifelong love of trees has finally come out, and in the very nick of time for his 200th birthday on July 12.

Thoreau and the Language of Trees, published April 4 by the University of California Press, explores Thoreau’s deep connection with trees, how he saw them as a naturalist, poet and philosopher, and what they meant to him. It shows that trees were a central thread connecting all parts of his being – heart, mind and soul.

Please visit my new website, http://www.thoreauandtrees.com, to read about the book, view of some of its 80 photographs, read the full Introduction or buy a copy.

Check the events page for my list of illustrated talks on the book.

Two upcoming talks are at Smith College, Friday, April 28, 2017, and at Acton Memorial Library May 4. I’ll also speak June 10 at the Concord Free Public Library, and at the Harvard Museum of Natural History on June 17. Hope to see you there.

Read it at your local library, buy a signed copy for $20 on my website or buy it at your local bookstore and online here (these cryptic links will take you to the book):
•        UC Press [https://goo.gl/7bqiNj]
•        Amazon [https://goo.gl/MtSQsY]
•        Barnes and Noble [https://goo.gl/PX3gWg]

To all the many people who offered me support and encouragement, I am deeply grateful.  

Richard Higgins
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest

For this message the author dbhguru has received Likes :
Larry Tucei
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1070 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: A New Book - Must Reading for Ents

Postby dbhguru » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:45 pm

Ents,

Earlier today, I attended my friend Rich Higgins's Smith College lecture on Thoreau and the trees. It was an A+ presentation all the way. Rich is a true tree spirit and it comes out in his presentation, which BTW, is quite scholarly. Although I read Rich's book as a draft, I now look forward to savoring the words of Thoreau in Rich's beautifully illustrated final version. Many have written about Thoreau, often with great admiration/respect - though not always. Still the association with trees of a Thoreau faithful may be through specific, narrowly focused interests, and thus the author may struggle to present the breadth of Thoreau's forest and tree connections. Not so, with Rich's accounts. His feel for Thoreau I believe is, how shall I say it - soul-based.

And now with the Massachusetts A-Team-East on board and confirming trees in Thoreau's backyard that would have made the Sage of Concord wax eloquent, things are looking up in Thoreau Land. It's a good time to be living in Massachusetts.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1070 times
Print view this post

Return to Trees and Forests - General Discussion Forums