Request for advice

General discussion forums related to trees and forests.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Request for advice

Postby geomcd1949 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:00 pm

I'm George from Cary, NC, a new member. The reason I joined is to ask for advice and guidance on setting up a Big Trees Register for my town. I have website assistance for anything that the project requires. I intend to have listings for the biggest trees, and also listings for trees that are nominated but aren't champions. Unless there's a reason not to.

Advice is greatly appreciated!

~George
geomcd1949

Has Liked: 2 times
Has Been Liked: 1 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Request for advice

Postby tsharp » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:16 am

George:
I have maintained a Big Tree database for the City of Parkersburg, WV (7000 acres, 30,000 pop.)for the past  seven. years. We accept written and online nominations year round and award certificates for the biggest their species. Awards are usually held in conjunction with an Arbor Day event. Participation has varied from six to forty-five submissions. As a result we keep a Big Tree database on the city website (link below)
http://www.parkersburgcity.com/treecommission/downloads/2015-Big_Tree_List.pdf
My policy is use AF measuring standards and maintain a list of trees with the three biggest point totals plus the tallest, largest CBH, and largest  spread if not included with the largest Af point trees, List is updated yearly.
Some advice: Only include measurements from yourself or someone you have trained. If you have the means run your own website. My experience with the city is Ok except changes and corrections are very slow. I intend to make it was a county wide effort since we get a lot of submissions from the surrounding Wood County. Consider that your species ID will have to be upgraded to word wide. One some of my first ID failures were a result of  missionaries returning from overseas and planting some obscure (to me) species.  Hope this helps

For this message the author tsharp has received Likes - 2:
geomcd1949, Will Blozan
tsharp

Has Liked: 716 times
Has Been Liked: 330 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Request for advice

Postby dbhguru » Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:59 pm

George,

Turner gives you sound advice. He is part of American Forests National Cadre of expert tree measurers. We can help teach you how to measure trees to a high level of accuracy. Without that accuracy, big tree lists are more  popularity contests than they are serious statements on tree size. Your biggest field challenge may be to get others on board with you in terms of doing the measuring right. We can help there to, but it basically must fall to you to do the recruiting and training. We have plenty of training materials we can send your way. Do you have a laser rangefinder and clinometer yet?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest

For this message the author dbhguru has received Likes :
geomcd1949
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1070 times
Print view this post