Hunter Mesa - Big Horns

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Iowa Big Tree Guy

Re: Hunter Mesa - Big Horns

Post by Iowa Big Tree Guy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:21 pm

Bob,

Thanks for the reply to my post. I hope you will be able to see the big Engelmann at Moose Ponds sometime. If you ever have the oppurtunity to measure the tree, I would be very interested to see how your findings compare to my measurements.

If I'm able to come to southwest Colorado it would probably be after July 15th. I hope it works out because, I would really enjoy showing you some of my previous finds and the prospect of finding even better trees is always exciting. I have been preparing for a possible trip to CO by not walking and not getting enough sleep. I hope you made it back to Durango safely. Did Larry make it out to CO?

I will look forward to reading your upcoming posts about trees in the Durango area.

Mark

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:07 pm

Mark,

We're' in Moab Utah now. We'll make it to Durango tomorrow. Here's an image from Canyonlands NP from today.
image.jpg
I'll meet up with Larry Tucei on Monday and then the big tree searching will really begin.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:01 am

I've been out west only one time, in 1987, shortly before Canyonlands became a National Park. I saw only one other vehicle the day I was there. The solitude is amazing and I actually preferred Canyonlands to The Grand Canyon.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:36 am

Brian

I'm with you. The crowds at the Grand are hard to take. Crowds at other popular parks are equally so. Monica loves Yellowstone, but I usually struggle because the place is so crowded and it is hard to understand why a lot of the visitors are even there. Most of the attuned ones at Yellowstone are foreigners. I'd rather have them around me as a rule because they seem to genuinely appreciate the scenery and natural phenomena. The American visitors at Yellowstone are often an embarrassment. If you meet a family on a short trail to a geyser, the adults are grossly overweight, making stupid comments every few yards, have equally overweight kids with frowns on their faces, in all probability, they are Americans. Sad, but true.

For lesser known parks, my experiences with fellow Americans have been more positive.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:42 am

dbhguru wrote:Mark,

I'll meet up with Larry Tucei on Monday and then the big tree searching will really begin.

Bob
Remember not to tease Larry about being only 18 inches high. You will need him to help exaggerate the size of your trees in the photos.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:49 pm

Ed,

Courtesy of my latest measurement, I can inform that Larry is 17.992 inches tall. We measure accurately in NTS. I'm going to have to adjust all my photo measurement calculations where I used Larry's height as a measuring stick.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:22 am

bbeduhn wrote:I've been out west only one time, in 1987, shortly before Canyonlands became a National Park. I saw only one other vehicle the day I was there. The solitude is amazing and I actually preferred Canyonlands to The Grand Canyon.
the only way to really appreciate the GC is to hike into it- then you realize just how big it is- as you get close to the bottom, it's quite a thrill, especially walking across the foot bridges

Joe

Joe

Post by Joe » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:25 am

dbhguru wrote:Ed,

Courtesy of my latest measurement, I can inform that Larry is 17.992 inches tall. We measure accurately in NTS. I'm going to have to adjust all my photo measurement calculations where I used Larry's height as a measuring stick.

Bob
ah, ha! so, the truth comes out- he's a Leprichaun!

Don

Post by Don » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:56 pm

Joe/Bob-
I am in agreement with preferring lower population densities! South Rim gets more than 90% of visitation, with the North Rim (my preference) getting very similar visitation as Canyonlands. One of the big pluses of living in Flagstaff for a decade or so, was the opportunities to explore the Southwest. Always good to see SW images!
-Don
PS:Joe, might be a little late to drop into The Canyon...pretty dang hot there by now, can be over 100 all night...during my last summer visit to Phantom Ranch, it was 109 degrees at midnight!

Joe wrote:
bbeduhn wrote:I've been out west only one time, in 1987, shortly before Canyonlands became a National Park. I saw only one other vehicle the day I was there. The solitude is amazing and I actually preferred Canyonlands to The Grand Canyon.
the only way to really appreciate the GC is to hike into it- then you realize just how big it is- as you get close to the bottom, it's quite a thrill, especially walking across the foot bridges

Joe
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Return to “Wyoming”