Hunter Mesa - Big Horns

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Hunter Mesa - Big Horns

Post by dbhguru » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:04 pm

NTS,

This is an post from Monica's iPad. I'm having more luck with it than with our MacBook Air on a DSL connection. The Verizon connection works faster. Any way, we spent a night in the Big Horns on our way to Yellowstone and Grand Teton. A traditional stopover is Hunter Mesa which always comes through for us with displays of wild flowers with a backdrop of 12,000-foot peaks. Here is a sample. If this works well enough, I'll send more.
image.jpg
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

dbhguru

Re: Hunter Mesa - Big Horns

Post by dbhguru » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:49 pm

Here are two more scenes from 7959-foot Hunter Mesa. Please double click on image to expand it. Lupine meadows are extensive.
image.jpg
Monica in the distance.
image.jpg
Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:20 pm

Amazing country! You're lucky to be seeing the Yellowstone/Tetons ecosystem again!

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:54 pm

James Robert,

From the Big Horns, we sailed across the Big Horn Basin to Yellowstone and the Tetons. Here are some images from the incomparable Tetons. The first looks upward over 7,000 feet from Jackson Hole to the summit of the 13,775-foot Grand Teton, Wyoming's second highest mountain.
GrandTeton-Grand-2.jpg
GrandTeton-Vista-2.jpg
GrandTeton-Vista-3.jpg
GrandTeton-Vista-4.jpg
GrandTeton-Vista-6.jpg
GrandTeton-Vista-7.jpg
Most of these shots are from the Garnet Canyon trail is a real jewel. Climbers take this route to get to the Grand, Middle, and South Teton. We met skiers as well as climbers. No fat folks on that trail. Monica and I were among the slowest, if not the slowest on the trail.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:55 am

NTS

Here is a view from Ten Sleep Canyon. Notice the boxelder in the foreground.
image.jpg
image.jpg (43.53 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
Ten Sleep Canyon is very scenic. It is more spacious than the other Big Horn canyons. U.S. 16 runs through it.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:36 am

Looking at the Monica in the distance photo, I can't help but think that is she turns around and runs real fast, she can probably escape before you could catch her.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Ed,

No need for Sweetie Pie to run, she's the boss.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Iowa Big Tree Guy

Post by Iowa Big Tree Guy » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:08 pm

Bob,

How long will you be in the Tetons? I was in Colorado last week and I took a one day trip up to the Tetons and measured the big Engelmann spruce I told you about.

It was an interesting experience even though the tree fell short of my expectations. I would not recommend driving from Steamboat Springs CO to the Grand Tetons to measure trees and returning to Steamboat Springs in the same day! It ended up taking about four hours longer than I had hoped which resulted in a very long gruling day and night.

The tree I'm referring to is one of three large Engelmanns on the southwest side of Moose Ponds which is just south of Jenny Lake. If you hike along the south edge of Jenny Lake you will come to a sign and trail that takes you to Moose Ponds. Follow the trail around Moose Ponds and on the far side of the ponds, just inside the edge of the timber are a few large Engelmanns. You can find the largest one perhaps 200' up the slope. You will know when you have found the right tree because there is a large pile of bear scat at the base.

Here are the dimensions I came up with:

Circumference 12'7", height 134.7', spread 33.5'. I have done quite a bit of looking for big Engelmanns in CO but I have never found any this large. I think I have seen taller ones but none that would mach the mass of Moose Ponds tree. I have done very little looking in Wyoming, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are larger ones out there.

I hope you will have time to check out this tree. It was nice to gimpse the Tetons but it was a shame to have to rush and not be able to appreciate the spectacular scenery. Your photos of the Tetons are excellent. I didn't really have time for photos but it was also raining while I was scrambing to measure the spruce.I saw a few respetable blue spruce and narrow leaf cottonwoods in northern CO but nothing that required measuring.

Mark

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:55 pm

Mark,

Excellent confirmation. Your Englemann is a little larger than the one I measured in Cascade Canyon. You have the NTS record for the Rockies. I've passed by the trail you mention, but haven't gone to Moose Lake. Maybe Monica and I can route ourselves back by the Tetons.

I'm presently in Pocatello, ID and will be leaving for Colorado on Friday. Monica and I will be in Durango on June 21st and will stay there until June 30th. We'll go to the Great Sand Dunes and Crestone until the 6th, when we will return to Durango. We'll stay in Durango until July 10th when we'll go to Santa Fe. We'll return to Durango on July 15th. We'll remain in Durango until Aug 1st or 2nd when we'll start the journey back to Massachusetts via Iowa.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:37 pm

Bob- Wow! Stunning images! I can't wait to get back out west. I better get my hiking legs ready- hahahah! See ya Sunday! Larry

Return to “Wyoming”