Medicine Bow - The Narrative

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Medicine Bow - The Narrative

Post by dbhguru » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:18 pm

NTS,

The attached WORD file provides an accounting of Monica's and my time in the Medicine Bow in early August. I hope it affords some enjoyable reading.

Bob
Attachments
Medicine Bow.doc
(4.13 MiB) Downloaded 120 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Don

Re: Medicine Bow - The Narrative

Post by Don » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:16 am

Bob-
You and Monica indeed should feel proud in having spent so much time above 10,000'! And in such fine wildernesses as you report of while in Medicine Bow. Crystal clear views (well documented by your new camera!) of mountain and rock, vegetation and water does wonders for us in urban expanses.
I spent much of the 60's through the 80's hiking above 10,000' and it's very fine, wherever you find it. I'm attaching an image from the area (near Desolation Wilderness not far from Lake Tahoe) where I'll be next month, with similar sense of untrammeled wilderness...
Loon Lake, Sierra Nevadas, California
Loon Lake, Sierra Nevadas, California
Zooming in...
Zooming in...
Loon Lake is around 7000', and still some distance from the Sierra Crest, but is characterized vegetationally as the upper end of the classic mixed conifer forest, with healthy stands of numerous five-needle pine species.
The snow visible here and there in northern exposures (photo is facing South), from a recent 6" October 5th snow storm. Sometimes we get caught, sometime it's yellow jackets and black bears...but we love it all the time!
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:55 am

Don,

Thanks for the lovely images. Can't get enough of them. The West Is Best!

It looks like the San Juan NF is interested in a conference next June. They are going to establish a database of WNTS measurements. Lee Frelich plans to come. Larry Tucei will join us, and Dave Stahle has said yes. So, how about it? Think you might be able to come down and preside as president of WNTS and keep us in line? Most o our time would be field time, and of course we;d have to go to the Strater Hotel's Diamond Bell Saloon to slake our thirsts and clear the cobwebs (or make them worse). The Great Old Broads for Wilderness will be a co-sponsor. We're cooking with gas. But we need you. We also need Veep Michael if he can make it, and any other NTS would care to belly up to the bar. To fit Lee's schedule, it would have to be early June.

Rand,

Ready for another measuring fest with Don and me in Durango?

Will,

I'm sure you'd smoke us all with new tall tree discoveries. Somewhere out there is a 160-foot Colorado Blue.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Don

Post by Don » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:57 pm

Bob-
We'll see what the boss says!
-Don