More Teton Images

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

More Teton Images

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:33 pm

NTS,

When we leave Pocatello, we'll head straight for Yellowstone, then through shoshone Canyon, Cody, and across the Bighorn Basin to the Bighorn Mountains. So, here is the last batch of Teton images.

The first image is of String Lake and a look at Teewinot and the Grand. Teewent is a 12,325-foot peak that is closer than the grand. In the image, the Grand, barely visible thrusts 13,779 feet (NAVD88) into the clear Wyoming air.
Tetons-11e.jpg
Here is a view of an old burn. It didn't cover that many acres, but its effects will persist for decades. Our trek took us around the String Lakes, a 3.5 mile hike with only a couple hundred feet gain in altitude.
Tetons-14e.jpg
Teewinot, the Grand, and Owen. Owen is the second highest Teton summit.
Tetons-17e.jpg
Another look at Teewinot, the Grand, and Owen from a closer perspective.
Tetons-18e.jpg
Closer Still.
Tetons-19e.jpg
Farther along the front.
Tetons-20e.jpg
And one last look.
Tetons-23e.jpg
The Tetons never lose their appeal for me. Their abruptness speaks to raw Earth power. Their sheer size and steepness is the source of their power. When in the sagebrush meadows at their foot, gazing up to their craggy summits, one's sense of the power of mountains and their impact on human imagination is greatly heightened. The Tetons afford us the pinnacle Rocky Mountain experience for the least effort. Several million visit the Tetons each year. Monica and I have made 5 visits since we've been married and with each visit, we find new reasons to return. You get into the high country very quickly, and with my tree discoveries in the western Tetons, they present a wider range of experiences than I had come to expect.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

ElijahW

Re: More Teton Images

Post by ElijahW » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:00 am

Bob,

Beautiful. Thank you.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

James Parton

Re: More Teton Images

Post by James Parton » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:37 am

Bob,

That is surely a beautiful place. Your photography skills are getting good! I could see myself fishing those clear streams.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Wyoming”