Into Grand Teton National Park, WY

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Into Grand Teton National Park, WY

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:40 pm

NTS,

After Monica and I left Teton Pass and drove through Jackson, we headed north into the Park. Here are four images from yesterday from the main access road.

Here is a view of the Grand. From these sagebrush flats, the Grand rises just under 7,200 feet. The abruptness of the rise is breathtaking, and exceeds all but a few base to summit rises in the Rockies. And I known of none other that is as abrupt. The Grand is 13,774 feet above sea level on NAVD29. On the later NAVD88, its elevation is listed as 13,779 feet.
Tetons-3.jpg
The Grand up close
Tetons-2.jpg
A glacier on the Grand. It has had a rough time this year.
Tetons-4.jpg
Elsewhere in the Tetons.
Tetons-1.jpg
Lots more to come on the Tetons including our trek around the String Lakes, where I measured a Colorado Blue to 125.0 feet.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Rand

Re: Into Grand Teton National Park, WY

Post by Rand » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:18 pm

Geez, you really got up there. When I hiked in the Tetons I was on the other side of the valley above amphitheater lake. A several hundred foot cliff separated me from hiking up to the glacier.

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Once you've been there and looked up at those peaks, you never forget them. According to the Park literature, those small glaciers have only been there since the 1400s (apparently they did ice core samples).

Classic thrust-fault mountains. Not many like them in North America, and they're certainly the biggest of that type of mountain building here. Next time I go I am seriously considering bagging Grand Teton. There is only one short stretch of technical climbing to reach the summit, and there are guides who will teach you the moves and lead the way. I may pay out the bucks and bite the bullet and do it.

If not that, then an online pal has promised to lead me to the top of Middle Teton which is Class IV climbing, which I am willing to attempt.

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:46 pm

Oh. Great photos, too. Looking forward to more!

Rand

Post by Rand » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:35 pm

jamesrobertsmith wrote:Once you've been there and looked up at those peaks, you never forget them. According to the Park literature, those small glaciers have only been there since the 1400s (apparently they did ice core samples).
I remember coming up through Jackson from the south, heading north and wondering where the mountains were, when all the sudden you come around a hill, and -wham- there they are. My reaction was, "Oh wow they really do look as impressive in person as they do in the photos." Of course I had to pull over and immediately take a picture (Hey look world, I'm a tooorist!)
IMG_1201.jpg
IMG_1252.jpg
Here's a picture standing at the base of the thrust fault, looking upward. Oh my, that is a long ways.
IMG_1202_2.jpg
IMG_1246.jpg
Fun story. I was on the east side of Grand Teton, an hour before nightfall, 7 miles up the Jenny lake trail, when I met a group of backpackers chugging up to the backcountry campsite. "Suppose I can make it out before nightfall." I sez. They snort in doubt. I think they forgot that it was ~2,500' downhill. I almost ran over a moose, but made it all the same. I nice thunderstorm show awaited me at the bottom:
IMG_1417.jpg

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:15 pm

Rand,

Great shots. Tell us more. Sounds like you had some adventures that we'd like to hear about.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:26 am

Bob, Randy, all, These great photos and stories from everyone are making me want to get out of the south and go West!!!!!

Joe

Post by Joe » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:16 pm

Larry Tucei wrote:Bob, Randy, all, These great photos and stories from everyone are making me want to get out of the south and go West!!!!!
not only is gorgeous out there but the weather is a lot better than we in the East have been having this year!
Joe

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:53 pm

Joe,

Durango and here in Pocatello, most nights are in the mid-50s. Ideal for sleeping. In mountain valleys, it can drop into the 40s and on occasion, the 30s. The high dry air out here and the high light levels suit me so much better than the muggy East. To each, his own. I know many people prefer the East because it is green and that is any many ways soothing even to people on a subconscious level. However, out here the angles are sharper, the colors more vibrant, the vistas more encompassing, etc., etc., etc.

Yesterday, on the Phillips Trail, Monica and I met hiker after hiker who was in excellent shape. We were the slowest ones on the trail. The Tetons have international appeal, and that is a good thing.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

Rand

Post by Rand » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:08 pm

dbhguru wrote:Rand,

Great shots. Tell us more. Sounds like you had some adventures that we'd like to hear about.

Bob
Comic hyperbole asside, it wasn't that interesting. I came around the bend, on a narrow part of the trail and saw this moose, maybe 20 feet away just off the trail. I screeched to a halt, and he sorta looked at me with this, "You aren't going to be a problem, are you?" look. Not willing to try my hand at a Thagg Simmons impression, I gave him a 'No Sir", look and quietly sashayed behind the closest deadfall, and with nothing else to do took a few pictures:
IMG_1410.jpg
Eventually he decided I was mostly harmless and wandered on his merry way. With his business end no longer pointing at the trail, I felt free to continue.
IMG_1413.jpg

Return to “Wyoming”