Teton Pass, WY

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

Teton Pass, WY

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:23 pm

NTS,

On our way for a two day visit to the Tetons, we took a route from Pocatello, ID to the Tetons that crossed Teton Pass. We had taken this route before, but this time we stopped at the pass and took a trail to the south. Wow, is it scenic. The pass is relatively low. It is just over 8,400 feet. The surrounding peaks exceed 10,000. There are gorgeous displays of wildflowers every where. Here is a look at fireweed. The mountains in the distance are the Gros Ventre on the east side of Jackson Hole. They have very different geology from the Tetons.
TetonPass-3.jpg
Indian paintbrush and Monica.
TetonPass-4.jpg
Fireweed up close.
TetonPass-1.jpg
Monica and a huge Englemann spruce. I measured them to 118 feet in height and 11 feet in girth. A lot are over 100, but I couldn't break 120 at the pass.
TetonPass-2.jpg
Indian paintbrush up close and personal.
TetonPass-7.jpg
Across Jackson Hole and into the Gros Ventre. You can see the road from the pass going down to Jackson Hole on the left.
TetonPass-5.jpg
Mountain vista.
TetonPass-6.jpg
Tomorrow, Monica and I are going to take the Phillips Canyon Trail. It is on the north side of the pass and joins the Teton Crest Trail. It promises a wealth of wild flowers and maybe some tall trees, and grand views, to be sure. The Tetons are at the top of the feeding order. Can't get enough of them. More to come.

BTW, I highly recommend the trip across Teton Pass for anyone leaving the Tetons and heading west to Idaho.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

pattyjenkins1

Re: Teton Pass, WY

Post by pattyjenkins1 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:44 am

Bob,
Your wondrous pictures make me ache for the mountains. Actually, they made us change our plans. After running the "Fun Climb" in Portland at the ISA's Annual Convention, we'll be spending some time in Oregon. I'm pretty sure I'll get my fix there.
Thanks for taking the time to post and comment on what you're seeing. It's worth the world to those of us who are stuck in the city.
patty
Patty Jenkins
Executive Director
Tree Climbers International, Inc.
Get High / Climb Trees

Joe

Post by Joe » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:05 am

Bob, I bet your camera can do video- have you experiemented with that?
Joe

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:11 pm

Patty,

I'm honored to share the images. I'll keeping them coming. There is so much out here that begs to be photographed, described, and above all, enjoyed.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Return to “Wyoming”