Goat Marsh LiDAR

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Goat Marsh LiDAR

Post by M.W.Taylor » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:00 pm

Attached is the LiDAR for Goat Marsh, which is arguably the finest noble fir forest on Earth.

red is 70m and white is 80m. The tallest in this scan is 85.2m, but a ground based measurement by Dr. Sillett yielded 86m. The density of this LiDAR is on the low side so the tippy top was missed. This tree is just NE of the big flat. There was once a 90m tree here but it died. The 86m tree is in now decline.
Attachments
70m red and 80m white
70m red and 80m white

ElijahW

Re: Goat Marsh LiDAR

Post by ElijahW » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:34 pm

Michael, NTS,

Last week I spent some time in the Goat Marsh Research Natural Area, measuring trees and sometimes just ogling the scenery. Although Mt. St. Helens was not visible due to smoke and low clouds, every minute spent in that forest was worth it. The experience was amazing, especially given the few days I've had to reflect on my trip.

Large Noble Firs were, of course, my target. I stumbled upon a few nice Douglas-firs and hemlocks, but Noble Fir (though slowly fading out) certainly still dominates the gently sloping land above the marsh. As you'll see by my numbers below, many of the tallest and largest-girthed firs have fallen, are dead standing snags, or have dead tops; however, many giants are still living. I believe I found the tallest remaining Noble Fir at Goat Marsh, but probably not the one with the largest girth. Here's what I measured:

Noble Fir Abies procera

264.5' x 21.45' (dead top; appears to have been much taller)
257.3' x 17.44'
222.8' x 23.00'

Douglas-fir Pseudotsuga menziesii

238.2' x 20.63'

Western Hemlock Tsuga heterophylla

184.7' x 16.26'

A few photos:
IMG_0622.JPG
IMG_0616.JPG
IMG_0618.JPG
Elijah

Return to “Washington”