a magnificent menziezii

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: a magnificent menziezii

Postby sradivoy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:47 pm

sradivoy wrote:I recently had the opportunity to spend some quality time with an old friend of mine. This named tree is one of the largest known to man. It has a DBH of over 12 ft and a height exceeding 260 ft. The wood volume is estimated at well over 9k ft of wood. One of my all time favorites! Enjoy.

The above information is incorrect - my apologies! For fifteen years this unnamed tree (as far as I know) tricked me into believing it was someone else. I just got word the real Sentinel keeled over around 2002 - which was probably the reason I couldn't locate it. "The Jester" (as I now affectionately refer to it) is a worthy successor none the less. If I remember correctly my tape wrap from long ago was over 11ft on an uneven basal mound of ancient bark debris. Have no idea on the height. I just know it was head and shoulders larger in terms of trunk volume than all the other DFs that I've seen in the grove.
sradivoy

Has Liked: 44 times
Has Been Liked: 127 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: a magnificent menziezii

Postby darvellloyd » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:49 pm

Darryl and I love all the posts about the giant Douglas firs!  We've also found some huge ones over the years, and we look forward to returning to the SW and W slopes of the Olympics this spring (2017)!
darvellloyd

Has Liked: 2 times
Has Been Liked: 4 times
Blog: View Blog (2)
Print view this post

#13)  Re: a magnificent menziezii

Postby sradivoy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:16 am

One my favorite species! I'm sure you'll find some big ones. I'm convinced that the largest, record size specimens haven't been recorded yet in the Olympic peninsula ... and that goes for Sitka spruce and redcedar as well. Best of all they don't have the cult following of the giant redwoods, so you'll pretty much have the place to yourself.
sradivoy

Print view this post

#14)  Re: a magnificent menziezii

Postby mdvaden » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:48 pm

darvellloyd wrote:Darryl and I love all the posts about the giant Douglas firs!  We've also found some huge ones over the years, and we look forward to returning to the SW and W slopes of the Olympics this spring (2017)!

On intagram this week, I noticed someone (maybe named Kaufman) posted a photo of a Douglas fir they either nominated or plan to nominate for California. The points they listed suggest it would be 10 ft. dbh but their photo looks a lot more like 8 ft. dbh unless they hid a lot of slope behind it. Curious to hear more about it, although I think the Doug firs north of the OR / CA border are more meaty looking.

M. D. Vaden of Oregon >>> http://www.mdvaden.com

Over 200 Pages of Redwoods >>> http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml
mdvaden

Has Liked: 6 times
Has Been Liked: 215 times
Print view this post

#15)  Re: a magnificent menziezii

Postby darvellloyd » Tue May 02, 2017 10:12 pm

Don't know if you received my recent e-mail, but my brother and I are getting excited about a re-visit to the Quinault and Hoh R. area this May 18-23.  Will be hoping to find the Willaby Cr. Cedar and Tichipawa, if conditions allow our 74-yr. old (and tired) bodies to bushwhack close to them!   We love your posts and images!
darvellloyd

Has Liked: 2 times
Has Been Liked: 4 times
Blog: View Blog (2)
Print view this post

#16)  Re: a magnificent menziezii

Postby sradivoy » Wed May 03, 2017 2:24 pm

Darvel,

I just sent you a response (three different ways). Hope you get it. Good luck on your trip and I hope you find what you are looking for. Enjoy the forest regardless.

Stefan
sradivoy

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Washington