Guided Hike at Montpelier - THIS Sunday

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Guided Hike at Montpelier - THIS Sunday

Postby Matt Markworth » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:05 pm

NTS,

Journalist/Writer Julia Travers (https://jtravers.journoportfolio.com/) has written an article for my forestreporter.com website, about a guided hike through the James Madison Landmark Forest. The hike takes place this Sunday. I wish I could make it!

Even if you can't make it or live too far away, the article gives some information about the forest and has some quotes from the Horticulturist that is leading the hike.

The article can be found here: https://forestreporter.com/2017/10/10/montpelier-hosts-big-woods-walk-through-old-growth-forest/ If you go to the home page you'll notice that I also put the article "In the Spotlight."

I was reading the one recent post about how, in general, other forms of communication have taken activity away from forums. One way to maybe have the best of both worlds is to format a BBS tree report into the format that I used for the Julia Travers article, and then that article could easily be shared across all social media, but the in-depth conversation would still take place at the original source, which is the BBS. Of course, links to a BBS report can be shared as well, but having them formatted as an article gives them a much more modern appearance when sharing. If anyone has a BBS tree report that they would like to turn into an article, just let me know and it's easy for me to do.

Matt

For this message the author Matt Markworth has received Likes :
Larry Tucei
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1068 times
Has Been Liked: 825 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Guided Hike at Montpelier - THIS Sunday

Postby dbhguru » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:01 am

Matt,

That is a very generous offer, and we thank you for it. As you might expect, I have an article or two in mind. I'm sure others do as well. With all the options for communications out there, the sheer number of them, their strengths and their limitations can discourage their utilization by all but those who specialize or take the time to do the research.

So, if you receive a tree story in the form of say a Word document with embedded tables and images, is that acceptable?  What can you accept?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1086 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Guided Hike at Montpelier - THIS Sunday

Postby Matt Markworth » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Hi Bob,

Yep, a word document with embedded images is perfect. JPG and PNG files both work well.

There is also an option to select a featured image which is the one that shows under the title at the top of the article, and the featured image also displays when sharing the article through social media.

I would also create an NTS BBS post, and link to it at the end of the article. That way we can make sure that NTS BBS members aren't out of the loop and it will also be a way to direct new people to the NTS BBS post for further interest and discussion.

Matt
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1068 times
Has Been Liked: 825 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Guided Hike at Montpelier - THIS Sunday

Postby Don » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:58 pm

Ideally these narrative/image pairings could have an attachment for the supporting data, in a format appropriate for downloading into the recently formed Superlative Native Tree database...; ~ )
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 69 times
Has Been Liked: 226 times
Print view this post

Return to Virginia